Veteran

Post by Dean »

What was The Federated Group?

I remember their TV jingle, "The Group. The Group. The Federated Group."

Was it like Circuit City?
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Dean wrote:What was The Federated Group? Was it like Circuit City?
Yes, it was a home electronics chain selling TVs, stereos, etc. It was generally called just "The Federated." During the last days of their existence in the late 80s they were owned by Atari, but they took a bath and sold many of the stores to Silo which itself didn't last very long in the Socal market. They are probably best remembered for their commercials starring Shadoe Stevens as "Fred Rated" where he did all kinds of crazy stuf. You can see some of them at http://youtube.com/watch?v=pM7yGRMjbrI

The Federated Group is not to be confused with Federated Department Stores, which is a completely different company.
socalgrocer

Post by socalgrocer »

Where were Federated and Silo stores in SoCal?

socalgrocer
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

runchadrun wrote:
Dean wrote:What was The Federated Group? Was it like Circuit City?
Yes, it was a home electronics chain selling TVs, stereos, etc. It was generally called just "The Federated." During the last days of their existence in the late 80s they were owned by Atari, but they took a bath and sold many of the stores to Silo which itself didn't last very long in the Socal market. They are probably best remembered for their commercials starring Shadoe Stevens as "Fred Rated" where he did all kinds of crazy stuf. You can see some of them at http://youtube.com/watch?v=pM7yGRMjbrI

The Federated Group is not to be confused with Federated Department Stores, which is a completely different company.
thanks! I do indeed remember Fred Rated!

I don't recall where Federated stores were...but do remember the entrance of SILO. "Isn't it better having a SILO nearby?!" They sure did not last long in Southern California.

The SILO in San Bernardino STILL has the same facade/color and words such as TV, STEROS, etc. It is an independent shop now.
RandallFlagg
Contributor

Post by RandallFlagg »

Some of the locations I remember. There was an old one in San Bernardino on the left side of the Levitz building. The Montclair location was on Central Ave. It was south of the 10 freeway on the west side in the same center and Mayfair, 1st trust bank and a UA theater. I remember going to a Covina location to pick up an item, but I don't remember the location. They had a newer location in San Dimas. At the time it was a new center on Arrow Hwy just east of the 57. It was across the street from Levitz. Most of the sites became Silo's except the San Bernardino one moved a few blocks away. Levitz took over the building and from what I remember built a waiting room and a few vignettes.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Two Federated Stores I remember:

Temple City - Rosemead Bl at Longden.
Now a Valu-Plus market

La Puente - Francisquito and Hacienda, next to the old Gemco.
Now an Indoor Swap Meet.

And there was one for a long time off Olympic in West LA west of the 405. I would say it still said Federated up till about 2000.
bigbubby
Contributor

Post by bigbubby »

Jeff wrote:Two Federated Stores I remember:

Temple City - Rosemead Bl at Longden.
Now a Valu-Plus market

La Puente - Francisquito and Hacienda, next to the old Gemco.
Now an Indoor Swap Meet.

And there was one for a long time off Olympic in West LA west of the 405. I would say it still said Federated up till about 2000.
I don't think Federated was ever real big in the Bay Area, but it was in Stockton and Sacramento. There was a Federated on March Lane at I-5 in Stockton. The space is now either OfficeMax or an expanded S-Mart Foods (Save Mart). Federated commercials were saturated all over Sacramento TV stations in the early 80s, just like in L.A. The only Bay Area stores I know of were in San Leandro, and I think a few in San Jose, but that was towards the end.
luckysaver
Veteran

Re: Federated Group (Home Electronics)

Post by luckysaver »

There was a store somewhere in City of Industry or nearby. Sometime in the late 1970's, my parents bought an old rectangular AM radio (with the circular dial). It was a Federated brand product. I'm not sure whether it was in Industry or the one mentioned in the earlier post in La Puente near Food4Less (old Gemco). I heard somewhere that it probably became a short-lived Silo store.

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I dont remember a Silo near Puente hills.
epickles

Post by epickles »

Any relation to Federated Department Stores (aka Macy's)?
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:I dont remember a Silo near Puente hills.
It was located behind Claim Jumper...along the strip of stores.

It is currently Office Depot.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Oh wow, I totally forgot about that one.