Food Fair Pantry Pride in Tampa?

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

u-save
Contributor

Food Fair Pantry Pride in Tampa?

Post by u-save »

I know that the Food Fair/ Pantry Pride chain was big in Florida especially around Miami and Ft. Lauderdale but i'm wondering if the chain at any time had any stores in the Tampa area?
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Yep.................they sure did.

The Tampa / St. Pertersburg market area was a separate Division for many years.

I do not remember exactly when that division was "disposed" of but maybe mid 1980's?
The Food Fair Empire
u-save
Contributor

Post by u-save »

Thank you, I have some Moody's books on company histories and while looking up "Pantry Pride" during the Ron O. Perleman era. (mid 80's) I remember reading that a huge chunk of stores were sold off-before Perleman(sp?) prepared to buy Revlon-(about 100, to who, i don't know.) with only the Richmond Virginia and S. Florida units remaning. I'm thinking that probably Publix got a hold of alot of the Tampa stores since they had rapid growth in the 80's.
neil mcauliffe
Contributor

Food Fair Pantry Pride in Tampa

Post by neil mcauliffe »

Steve did they ever use the name Food Fair Quality Discount in Florida?
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

To my knowledge, no.

:)
The Food Fair Empire
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Food Fair Pantry Pride in Tampa?

Post by Groceteria »

Per some research today, the first Food Fair in the Tampa area opened in Clearwater in 1957, followed by stores in St Pete and Tampa the same year. The Pantry Pride conversions began in 1968. Closures in Florida began in 1979, at which time the JM Fields stores were also on the market.