Safeway in Europe...?

Any other countries are fair game.

Moderator: Groceteria

steps
Veteran

Safeway in Europe...?

Post by steps »

i heard that there were some Safeways in the U.K....can anyone shed some light on this...?? like when they pulled out, etc thanks!
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Dave
Veteran

Post by Dave »

There is a Safeway UK archive website that will tell you all you want to know. KKR spun off the UK Safeway which was acquired by Morrison's and has been rebranded. Here's the Safeway UK Archive wbsite link: http://www.safeway.org.uk/
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

thanks for the site address!!

so the safeway comepany in the USA had no relation to the Safeway in the UK...??
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

nevermind! lol
storeliker
Contributor

UK Safeways

Post by storeliker »

I saw Safeways awhile back in England. even went in to one. I cannot recall if brands were the same ( Nu-Made, Scotch Buy, Party pride, Cragmont days) but do recall the emblem as being slightly different. The one I went into to was a typical grocery store about the same size as stores built in the mid sixties so nothing too big. I am not sure if Safeway is in UK still and havent seen them in other European countries. In France they have a grocery chain that actually has petite stores, basically the same stuff as the regular grocery but the petite store had less and space was real small like a 7-11 but popular veggies and nutrtious things. i forget the name of this chain.
me
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: UK Safeways

Post by Groceteria »

storeliker wrote:I am not sure if Safeway is in UK still and havent seen them in other European countries.
As mentioned above, Safeway UK has been merged into Morrisons.

And as mentioned on the very site this message board is a part of, "Safeway expanded worldwide in the 1960s, with divisions established in the UK (1962), Australia (1963), and Germany (1964)."

The overseas divisions were all divested by the mid-1980s: the UK stores became a separate company called Safeway PLC, the Australian stores were sold to Woolworths (Not affiliated with the US Woolworth chain), and I don't really know what happened to the German stores.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Safeway also licensed its name to several operators in Egypt and Saudi Arabia, and also owns 49% of the Ley market chain in Mexico.

The only US retailer that has big ops in the UK is WalMart through its ownership of ASDA.