A&P in Flordia

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

steps
Veteran

A&P in Flordia

Post by steps »

are there any a&p stores in flordia...?
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

I don't think there are any, anymore. I remember going to one in Orlando in 1984, it was a few blocks away from my grandmother's house. Shortly after that it became a Piggly Wiggly, and was that until 1990 when it became an IGA. That only lasted for about a year, then it sat vacant for a while until it became a Guitar Center. It was still a Guitar Center when I was out there in 2002.
steps
Veteran

Post by steps »

ah that's great!! i was watching the golden girls earlier..(lol) and they said something about an A&P and i was jus wondering if there were any in flordia....
Pavilions, the new, the unusal, the BEST of everything!
DanG
Contributor

Post by DanG »

The last one I Know of was in Fort Pierce. It closed in the early 90's or late 80's. I used to call on it when I worked for a food broker.
The store opened in the 60's and was never remodeled. It still had all the original shelving and refridgeration when it closed. It was like stepping back in time to walk in the doors.
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

There haven't been any A&P stores in South Florida since before "The Golden Girls" premered in the mid 80's.

Of course The Golden Girls took place in Miami Beach, which at the time was dominated by 1960's (and older) vintage Publix and some Pantry Pride (former Food Fair) stores. The Pantry Pride stores later became "Hyde Park Foods" or "Wooley's" and they were gone within a few years. There were not as many Winn-Dixie locations in Miami Beach, WD had much more on the mainland.

Today, Publix is king in Miami Beach. I'm sure all of the original Publix locations have either remodeled or relocated by now. And if The Golden Girls were in real life, they surely would have shopped at Publix. That was definitely their type of store. The elderly, retired and upscale are Publix's core customer base
Edric Floyd
Veteran

Post by Edric Floyd »

DanG wrote:The last one I Know of was in Fort Pierce. It closed in the early 90's or late 80's. I used to call on it when I worked for a food broker.
The store opened in the 60's and was never remodeled. It still had all the original shelving and refridgeration when it closed. It was like stepping back in time to walk in the doors.
I remember that A&P. My family shopped there in the late 1970's when visiting a relative. And you are right, stopping there in 1989 was stepping back in time. Except for they had scanners on older registers.
sflagrocer

A&P on Miami Beach

Post by sflagrocer »

A&P's left Miami Beach In the mid 70's. While the Golden Girls were on the air there were only three Publix's on the Beach. The major supermarket would have been Pantry Pride/Wooley's/Hyde Park Market having eight locations in the mid 80's and three at the time of the eventual in June of 2000.
DanG
Contributor

Post by DanG »

Here is a link to photos of the former A&P buildings in Fort Pierce, FL.

The first two pics are of the orignal location on Orange Ave in downtown. It was a House of Meats store for several years and has been vacant for the last three or four years.
The second two pics are of the store just off of US 1 on Georgia Ave. After A&P closed it was an Arrons Rents before the Dollar store moved in. Other than new signs and paint the outsid of the store hasnt been changed since I can remember.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/dbozone11 ... pg&.src=ph