Who remembers store brand beer?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

jamcool
Veteran

Who remembers store brand beer?

Post by jamcool »

Remember when the grocery chains had their own private label beers? Most had a taste that made Old Milwaukee taste like champagne in comparison! :twisted:
krogerclerk
Veteran

Post by krogerclerk »

Kroger briefly sold Cost Cutter beer in the early-80's in the plain yellow can and black print. I was underage when it was available, though honestly it was not on my list of must-have alcoholic beverages at that point.
rrr

Post by rrr »

Don't recall ever seeing store brand beer, but I do recall generic beer back when there was generic everything. Somehow we knew that in our area generic beer was Falstaff in sheep's clothing.

And, in Wisconsin we had store brand hard liquor. Some highlights were whey vodka, residue brandy (distilled from leftovers of the orange juice industry), and worst of all, scotch. These plus gin and whiskey were available in such brands as "Quillin's IGA" and "Weaver's Warehouse".
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

I have seen cans of Alpha Beta beer on Ebay, and I remember Thrifty Drug had house brand Vodka... I was underage when Thrifty was still in business so I never tried any, lol! I have also seen Scotch Buy (Safeway) cigarettes on Ebay as well.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

In the first "Revenge of the Nerds" movie-which was filmed at the Univ. of Arizona-one of the kitchen scenes included a 6-pak of "Dutch Treat" Beer.
Dutch Treat was made by the Heileman brewery in Phoenix (the old A-1 brewery) and sold exclusively through the A.J. Bayless grocery chain...Worse than Keystone! :oops:

I do remember Lucky-branded liquor, and also booze with the "Skaggs Alpha Beta" brand
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

During it's "Scotch Buy" days, Safeway also had Scotch Buy beer--at least here in Oklahoma. It was in a white background can with the green logo.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Albertsons has store brand Liquor. I remember getting scolded a few years ago for buying the store brand Vodka.
wayne winterland jr.
Contributor

Zody's company in Southern California

Post by wayne winterland jr. »

Another beer that i ran across on e-bay and whose store I remember was beer from the Zody's chain in Southern, Calif.
todd
Contributor

GENERIC BEER

Post by todd »

I remember GENERIC beer ...and everything else for that matter. SCARY
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

In Cleveland, OH, Fazio's had their "Heritage House" beer (Heritage House was the Fisher Foods/Fazio's primary store brand.)

A&P had "Tudor" beer.

As for Generic beers, many smaller breweries manufactured them for their various markets. Pittsburgh Brewing Company manufactured generic beer at one time, although I think it was a step below their "Iron City" brand. Christian Schmidt Brewing Company also manufactured generic beers; I think most of them came from their long-closed brewery in Cleveland. Schmidt's manufactured many bargain-brand beers, many of them being has-been local brands, such as Duke (formerly Duquesne Brewing Company of Pittsburgh), P.O.C. (formerly Pilsener Brewing Company of Cleveland), and Knickerbocker (formerly Ruppert Brewery in NYC). Schmidt's Cleveland brewery made many of these cheap beers...often times they're one recipe but labeled differently...my grandfather once bought a 6-pack of P.O.C. and found a bottle of Duke inside...both beers tasted the same. Schmidt's closed the Cleveland brewery around 1985, and I believe Christian Schmidt is no longer in business.
mfricke
Contributor

Post by mfricke »

Ralphs had plain wrap beer when they introduced the plain wrap label around 20 years ago. As all plain wrap products, it had a blue stripe around it, and the word "BEER" on it. It was something Homer SImpson would love...

On a side note, I have friends who prefer the Safeway Select vodka over name brand labels.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Stater Bros sold (sells?) generic beer and I used to get it for my friends as a gift for their 21st birthday. It was a light brown label with "Beer" on it.

When I was in college (and not yet 21) I would get my friends to buy me Lucky brand vodka so I could have the most bang for my buck. It's not like I had developed a taste for gourmet vodka at that tender age anyway.
teamster20

Post by teamster20 »

I remember Lucky use to have those bright yellow 12 twelve packs that just said" BEER"... the cans were bright yellow and had the "BEER" on as well in black letters...

:P
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

What I want to know is where do you find those cans of beer like they have on Roseanne and various other TV shows -- the cans where it looks like it says "Coors" but it really says "Beer" in the same font? :lol:
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Daniel wrote:What I want to know is where do you find those cans of beer like they have on Roseanne and various other TV shows -- the cans where it looks like it says "Coors" but it really says "Beer" in the same font? :.:
Those are a special brand available only in the art department at Warner Bros. I can say from experience that graphic designers can be major league lushes...