Big Lots at McLeod and Sahara Former Kmart Foods?

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

lvkewlkid
Veteran

Big Lots at McLeod and Sahara Former Kmart Foods?

Post by lvkewlkid »

At McLeod and Sahara in Las Vegas, there is a Kmart/Big Lots Shopping Center that was built a very long time ago. I dont think there was always a Big Lots next to the Kmart, was it a Kmart Foods or some other grocery store?
mgrmk
Contributor

Post by mgrmk »

I believe that Big Lots location was a large Checker Auto Parts which moved into a free standing building in the parking lot in the mid 90's. The spot Checker AP moved to was Leatherby's Ice Cream Parlor which moved further west on Sahara near the strip in an old Sizzler location.
Roadsidepictures
Contributor

Post by Roadsidepictures »

Wasn't there a Pic n Save next to that Kmart? There was a Furrs Cafeteria in the parking lot.
mgrmk
Contributor

Post by mgrmk »

Yes, the Pic & Save is now Big Lots and the Furr's Cafeteria sits empty, Kmart uses it to hang sale banners. Incedently, this Kmart just received the new red kmart signage and removed the Big K signs.
LVbearAM

I believe there was a grocery....

Post by LVbearAM »

If my memory serves me correctly (and you may correct me if I'm wrong), the store next door to the K-Mart on East Sahara--now a Big Lots--was once a Pantry Pride supermarket. The store may have closed down sometime in the 1970's, but I can't remember the year.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Hmmmmmmmmmmm........... maybe. Food Fair sold all of it's California and Nevada stores around that time. Slight possiblitiy that BEFORE that happened they MAY have converted a former Fox Market or Food Fair or Food Fair/Fox to a Pantry Pride as a last ditch effort.

I DO know there were many internal battles about closing their western division. And I do know that the Pantry Pride concept in the east was FLYING. So hence the possibility of a lone Pantry Pride experiment out west.

It would be cool to confirm or deny that possiblity.
The Food Fair Empire
lvkewlkid
Veteran

Post by lvkewlkid »

Does anyone have a list of former Pantry Pride/Food Fair locations in Southern NV?
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

One would have to have the resources to do that.......and the time and interest ;)

I wish I had the time (working 60 or more hours a week) :(
(because i def have the interest).

Best way would be to look under Fox Markets. Then research under Food Fair.........Food Fair/Fox and finally Pantry Pride.
The Food Fair Empire
Roadsidepictures
Contributor

Post by Roadsidepictures »

I've seen a picture taken in the early 1960's of the Food Fair that was next to the White Cross Drug Store at 1711 South Main Street. It was also a Mayfair, Smith's and most recently, Meyer's Market. It's been closed for several years, but the department names are still on the wall.
rnaikens
Contributor

Re: Big Lots at McLeod and Sahara Former Kmart Foods?

Post by rnaikens »

The store next to Kmart on East Sahara was built by Food Fair as a Pantry Pride. Later became a Smith's and then Pic N Sav.