Country Counter??

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Daniel
Veteran

Country Counter??

Post by Daniel »

In the basement of my apartment building there's a shopping cart that has a Giant Eagle handle, but engraved on the bottom of the cart is "Country Counter". Was this a chain that Giant Eagle took over? Before they closed it and moved into the old Tops across the street, the Giant Eagle store down the street had inventory stickers from Resier Foods on all the refrigeration, in addition to the standard Giant Eagle asset labels. Did that company operate a store called Country Counter or was this still another store?
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Country Counter was one of the members of the Stop-n-Shop cooperative whose stores were acquired by Giant Eagle. They had stores in Brecksville and some other suburban/semi-exurban areas S of Cleveland.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Thanks for that. I did some research and found that "Reiser Foods" operated several Stop & Shop locations (Some as Rini Rego Stop & Shop) and these too were acquired by Giant Eagle. Funny, because when I was in the old Giant Eagle last year I had a feeling it was converted from something, and I thought the fonts on the wall lettering looked like the font Stop & Shop used on their logo.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

I forgrt all the details but Giant Eagle bought Riser, which had bought Fisher Foods (Fazio). Riser, as I recall, was a mix of Rini-Rego, which oeprated as part of Stop-n-Shop and Seaway, which had supplied Stop-n-Shop and several other cooperatives (the other big one being Bi-Rite). Ginat Eagle also bought the rest of the Stop-n-Shops, although a few have continued as franchisees rather than as full fledged corporate Giant eagles.