Albertsons and its drugstores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

marshd1000
Veteran

Albertsons and its drugstores

Post by marshd1000 »

I know that this would be more recent history. I am guessing that in some locations, there were Albertsons stores that had a Sav-On Drug or Osco Drug that were seperate but right next door to each other. I know that before Osco Drug sold to Payless Drug here in Seattle, that some of them were right next door to a Albertsons. So were there some cases, after the merger with ABS, where the wall was torn down between Albertsons and Sav-On/Osco and the two stores integrated as one? I know that I read somewhere in this board where there was a Albertsons with a seperate Sav-On next door and the Sav-On was turning into CVS.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

In Culver City, CA, there's a former Gemco that became a Lucky (later Albertsons) and a separate Savon store separated by a wall. That's the one that's visible from the 405 freeway just past the 90 freeway. The facade still has the blue tile that Gemco used in its final years. There is a wall between the stores but there was a pass through between the two stores in front of the checkstands, so there was no common checkout area but if you wanted to go between stores you could do so without walking outside.

I checked the CVS store locator and this location is becoming a CVS. I was last in that store on November 17 (don't ask why I know that) so I don't know if the passthrough is still there.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

There was an Albertsons (original) build next to a Sav-On in 1996 or so in Reno, NV. When Albertsons started doing the "combo stores" in this market around 2003, the Sav-On was closed and "moved" into the Albertsons. The store was not expanded. The Sav-On employees were not able to move over to the Albertsons and work unless they wanted to lose their pay and seniority, but they could transfer to one of the other three Sav-Ons.

You don't see many combination stores down in Las Vegas because ASC wanted to get as many slot machines in the shopping center as possible. You can get more machines in if you build a sepearte Lucky and a separate Sav-On, with a wall between the two, and that is just what ASC did on most new construction stores in that market, at least in the 1990's. I don't think ABS followed this.
socalgrocer

Post by socalgrocer »

Chino is another example. Located at 60 Freeway exit Grove, there is/was an Albertsons-Savon with a Savon Drugs right next door. I pointed out a mistake in another post that this Albertsons store is in the hands of Cerebrus because the store locator on the ABS website marked it as Albertsons LLC when in fact ALL SoCal Albertsons is in the hands of SuperValu. The Savon next door is now a CVS.

Two more examples...
Max Foods and Savon next door to each other. Located at 60 Freeway exit Garfield/Wilcox. The Max was slated to be Lucky and the Savon is now CVS.

Walnut - Albertsons and Savon, 1994-2002. Located at Amar and Grand, Albertsons was divested in 1999 and reopened as Stater Bros in 2000. Savon closed in 2002 and is still vacant (Albertsons Real Estate dept is still trying to dispose that site).

socalgrocer
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

socalgrocer wrote:Chino is another example. Located at 60 Freeway exit Grove, there is/was an Albertsons-Savon with a Savon Drugs right next door. I pointed out a mistake in another post that this Albertsons store is in the hands of Cerebrus because the store locator on the ABS website marked it as Albertsons LLC when in fact ALL SoCal Albertsons is in the hands of SuperValu. The Savon next door is now a CVS.
I'd have to look @ this location the next time in the area...yet, I believe this location was originally LUCKY & CLARK'S DRUG.

I know such a center existed in that area...I assume this is the site.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

Dean wrote:I'd have to look @ this location the next time in the area...yet, I believe this location was originally LUCKY & CLARK'S DRUG..
You are correct, sir. Clark Drugs is also mentioned in the thread on long-gone drugstore chains:
http://www.groceteria.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=1094
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

Did Grocery Warehouse have pharmacies in the past?

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The two Grocery Warehouses in my area (Alhambra and Montebello) did not have Pharmacies. They do(did) have tortillarias