Grocery Stores that were formerly something unique

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

runchadrun wrote:I completely forgot about this until i drove by it yesterday. On Venice Blvd near the intersection of Robertson there's a shopping center with Albertsons, CVS, Office Max, and Ross among others. Originally the building was the Globe A-1 pasta factory which closed in 1987. When the shopping center opened it was a Lucky and Sav-on but they were separate stores. It's a wedge-shaped parcel with CVS at the vertex so it's a strange shape inside. Based on the liquor license information, Lucky opened in 1998.

http://local.live.com/default.aspx?v=2& ... ne=6985781

Some history on Globe A-1 and the building: Globe A-1 started in 1902 and was bought by Pillsbury in 1940 then sold to local owners in 1955. Borden bought the company in 1986 and closed the plant in 1987, moving production to Phoenix to consolidate production with Anthony's Pasta, another LA-based pasta company Borden had bought. I don't know when the factory in question was built. By 1989 the building was used as a Rolls-Royce dealership and the General Services Administration leased about 1/4 of the space to store artifacts for the Reagan Library. In 1994 there was a plan to turn it into a Recreation World with mini golf course, batting cages, and billiards but that never happened. There was an Armstrong Garden Center in back where the railroad tracks were.

There's a beautiful moasic that is still on the wall that you can see if you are facing west on Venice Blvd and look up. http://www.palmsvillagesun.info/GlobeA1.html
Hey...thanks so much for this history!

I have been to this site before...and KNEW it had to have been something prior!
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

West Main Mall in Kalamazoo had a Jewel Foods in a former JCPenney (originally WT Grant). If I'm not mistaken, this location lives on as Harding's Market, even though the mall has been torn down.

And even though it's not a typical grocer, Cost Plus World Market operates in a former Walgreens in the now-demalled Crystal Point Mall in Crystal Lake, IL. This location also took a portion of mall hallway.