1965 Safeway on Country Club Blvd in Stockton info

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Floyd

1965 Safeway on Country Club Blvd in Stockton info

Post by Floyd »

I was doing some research on Safeway in Stockton in the 1960's particularly the one on 2720 Country Club Drive. According to The Stockton Record microfilm, it opened on November 16, 1965. The architect was Tod Hart of the Sacramento firm "Hart And Turner" who not only designed this Safeway but others. Any info on Tod Hart on this site? Also it mentions that the construction company that built this Safeway was "Craft Construction of Stockton" which at that time also built over 15 other Safeway Stores. Any info on Craft Construction and which stores they ultimately built? This is a great site. I am 44 years old and I grew up in Stockton and have many fond memories of all the grocery stores here from Safeway to Gaines to Don Quick to Centromart. This is an excellent site!!! Thanks!!! Floyd.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Photo of the Stockton store mentioned above, which was recently relocated:

It's definitely a prototype I've seen a few other places, none of which come to mind right off the top of my head. Perhaps this same team was responsible for all of them.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

That angular roof arch reminds me a lot of the Burney gable, though I'm not sure it's the same design at all.
Chris Sampang
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Here's a similar one from Redding CA, which looks a little less modified than Stoockton was at closing:

It was sort of a variation on the gable. I vaguely remember another similar one in Chico or one of the Sacramento suburbs, which would make sense if there's a Stockton connection.