"Last" Stores

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Dave
Veteran

"Last" Stores

Post by Dave »

In my research lately, I was able to determine which were the last new stores built by A&P and Safeway before they pulled out of the Richmond market entirely.

Here's the Safeway, now Kroger, previously Hannaford, previously The Grocery Store (Farm Fresh), built in 1991 (Safeway pulled out in 1993):

Doing all of this scratching around for local information has made me not only envious of our host's efforts, but also appreciative of the need to try to remember this stuff. :) I'm getting a lot of memory refreshment. (this post was edited on 4/23/2006 to remove the link to the A&P picture; I found out today that the wrong location was shown)

It might be interesting to see any other "last" stores - though these are a little newer than what I'm mainly interested in.
Last edited by Dave on 23 Apr 2006 20:24, edited 2 times in total.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

The last Red Owl was in downtown Marquette, Mi--a nondescript 1950s store.
runchadrun
Veteran

Post by runchadrun »

One of the last, if not the last, Alpha Betas was built on Lincoln Blvd at the end of the Marina Freeway stub in Marina del Rey. It was a clean, modern store with all the amenities, which was a nice change of pace from the typical small Alpha Beta. The Miracle Mile and 3rd Street/La Brea stores also opened around the same time, so I could be wrong about the timing.

The Marina store is now a Ralphs Fresh Fare.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

And...........the last Pantry Pride built was in Sunny Isles (northern Miami Beach Fl.) in 1991.

It was about 40,000 sq. ft. and was called Pantry Pride Food Emporium.

:)
The Food Fair Empire
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

This actually makes me think of a good question: When was the last marina Safeway built?
Chris Sampang