Alpha Beta Supermarkets in Anaheim, Calif.

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

wayne winterland jr.
Contributor

Alpha Beta Supermarkets in Anaheim, Calif.

Post by wayne winterland jr. »

Does anyone remember Alpha Beta Markets having a grocery store on both ends of downtown Anaheim, Calif.?
greebs
Contributor

Post by greebs »

There was 4 stores in Anahiem:
915 S. Brookhurst
1020 N. Euclid
2809 E. Lincoln
460 S. Anaheim Hills Road
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

greebs wrote: 460 S. Anaheim Hills Road
This store was built in the middle of nowhere. Not really close to the major roads (Imperial Hy to the west, Santa Ana Canyon to the north).

Today, its a Sav-on/CVS drug store.

Another odd thing about the area, three of the area's 4 supermarkets all closed down.

1) Alpha Beta on Anaheim Hills/Nohl Ranch Rd (Sav-on now)
2) Albertsons on Imperial and Santa Ana Canyon (Gym now)
3) Hughes / Ralphs on Santa Ana Canyon and Fairmont (Big Lots now)

The only survivor is a 70's build Vons on Imperial and Santa Ana Canyon.
A Ralphs on the east end of the area is open as well (Santa Ana Cayon and Weir Canyon)
OCRedCub
Contributor

Bristol Farms in Anaheim Hills?

Post by OCRedCub »

Odd that they all closed in a growing prosperous area after only a few years.
Wasn't there also a Bristol Farms briefly in Anaheim Hills?
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

I don't recall. All I remember are these markets.

And yes, this area was severely over-supermarketed. A lot of the markets closed around the time the Super K-mart opened on Weir Canyon (early 90's - I want to say 94).

Oddly enough, this Super K was closed by 2000 I beleive.
OCRedCub
Contributor

Post by OCRedCub »

The caption on this photo shows an Alpha Beta at 406 E. Center (now Lincoln) near the corner of Olive in downtown Anaheim in 1947.
http://content.cdlib.org/ark:/13030/kt4 ... &brand=oac

Jason B.
Veteran

Anaheim, Calif.-Chain Grocers-1930s

Post by Jason B. »

[I posted the following on the Groceteria message board in 2002 - re: history of Alpha Beta, especially in Anaheim.]

I have just found an Alpha Beta advertisement in the 'Anaheim Gazette' edition of October 26, 1939 that discusses the history of the company.

In 1939, the ad claimed, there were 28 stores in the Alpha Beta chain. I am uncertain if this figure includes the Alpha Beta Ranch Supermarkets that are mentioned on the Alpha Beta history page of this website.

The ad stated that Alpha Beta began as Triangle A.B.C. stores; the three stores that formed the triangle were in the southern California communities of Pomona, Orange, and Santa Ana. According to the ad, the stores did not sell fruits and vegetables in the beginning, but did sell meat.

In 1939, Alpha Beta stores #12 and #26 were located in Anaheim, Calif., then a city of about 11,000 population. The stores were located at Center & Emily (opened in 1922) and Center & Palm (opened in 1930) respectively. Disneyland would open in Anaheim sixteen years later, in 1955. The headline stated, "ALPHA BETA MARKETS WERE FIRST HELP YOURSELF STORE IN [Orange] COUNTY."

Pioneer Food & Beverage (locations at 315 E Center & 100 E Center)and Safeway were other Anaheim food stores that ran ads in the 1939 newspaper.

Today Albertson's, the successor company to Alpha Beta, operates three stores in Anaheim, now a city of more than 300,000 population. According to the Albertson's website, they are located at (1) 9822 Katella Ave. (southwestern Anaheim), (2) 810 S. State College Blvd. (east of downtown), and (3) 5755 E. La Palma Ave. (northeastern Anaheim/Anaheim Hills area). Presumably these were Lucky stores before the 1999 merger of American Stores and Albertson's.

As Anaheim's population has grown thirty-fold in the past sixty years, it has gained only one store in the Alpha Beta/Lucky/Albertson's chain!

The Kroger chain presently operates ten stores in Anaheim, seven as Ralphs and three as Food 4 Less.

The Safeway chain now operates three stores in Anaheim: (1) Vons-130 W. Lincoln (downtown), (2) Vons-5600 Santa Ana Canyon Road (eastern Anaheim), and (3) Pavilions-8010 East Santa Ana Canyon Road (far eastern Anaheim/Anaheim Hills area).
StaterBahr

Post by StaterBahr »

Bristol Farms had leased an anchor spot at the corner of imperial hwy and santa ana canyon. they even had gone as far as to print the address on their gift certificates, but alas the lease somehow fell through at the last minute, and if i am not mistaken, it is an LA Fitness now.[/quote]
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

StaterBahr wrote:Bristol Farms had leased an anchor spot at the corner of imperial hwy and santa ana canyon. they even had gone as far as to print the address on their gift certificates, but alas the lease somehow fell through at the last minute, and if i am not mistaken, it is an LA Fitness now.
[/quote]That LA Fitness was originally an Albertsons. It closed in the late 90's.
scanman2
Contributor

Alpha Beta Anaheim

Post by scanman2 »

You can see one the original building intact for the most part at the one on Euclid just south of the 91 fwy. It recently closed as a Ralphs as is currently vacant.
J-Mac
Veteran

Post by J-Mac »

I made a trip out to 2809 E. Lincoln Ave recently. I have a couple pictures to share:

and ...

Yes, that's smoke from the fires turning the sky red.

A couple other pics are in my Alpha Beta set on my flickr page, including a couple interior shots:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/7591905@N0 ... 040852236/

PS: Any idea when this store was built?