Safeway logos

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

Super S
Veteran

Safeway logos

Post by Super S »

A Safeway near my home recently remodeled and has an updated "S" logo where the S is white and the squared area is red, almost a reversal of the previous logo. The Safeway letters are now black, and backlit with white at night.

What year did Safeway switch from the round S to the square S logo?
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Safeway logos

Post by Jeff »

Super S wrote:A Safeway near my home recently remodeled and has an updated "S" logo where the S is white and the squared area is red, almost a reversal of the previous logo. The Safeway letters are now black, and backlit with white at night.

What year did Safeway switch from the round S to the square S logo?
According to Wickpedia:

* The S Medallion (1946 - 1982) - This was Safeway's most popular logo, used from 1946 to April 1982. The red "S" part was slightly thinned in late 1957, and would remain in this fashion through 1982.
* The Ribbon Leaf (1982 - 2005) - Safeway used this logo from April 1982 to April 17, 2005. The red stylized S was still located in the center.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

* The S Medallion (1946 - 1982) - This was Safeway's most popular logo, used from 1946 to April 1982. The red "S" part was slightly thinned in late 1957, and would remain in this fashion through 1982.

I think the "Circle-S" only dated back to the mid-50s....Safeway stores before that only had the word "SAFEWAY" in large serifed letters on the exterior and on the signs.
danielh_512
Veteran

Post by danielh_512 »

What is the name for the new logo? From the pictures I've seen, I really like it. I haven't seen it on a store yet in Safeway's Mid-Atlantic division.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

I should add that Safeway updated the logo on the store and main signs only. They did not update the logo on the gas station at the same location, or any of its signs.
tesg
Veteran

Post by tesg »

danielh_512 wrote:What is the name for the new logo? From the pictures I've seen, I really like it. I haven't seen it on a store yet in Safeway's Mid-Atlantic division.
I don't know if Safeway has an internal designation for it, but when I first saw it, I thought it kind of looked like a cherry Sucrets lozenge.

So I'm calling it the "lozenge" logo.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Notice that the new "S" is conveniently the same shape as the previous one...an easy way to resign using the existing sign frames. Couldn't do that with the old circle-S!
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

The S is the same shape but the Safeway letters are completely different.
StoreLiker2005

Safeway Logos (continued)

Post by StoreLiker2005 »

Hi Group,

It's been a week ago, but I managed to check out the January 1-15, 1982 filmreel of "The Oregonian" at the Central Library in SW Downtown Portland, and as I was searching for Safeway as per usual, lo and behold, I found out that their "ribbon leaf" was put in use already (their UK division was months behind to adapt the 1982-2005 US logo).

That would mean the 1957 subversion of Safeway's 1946 Medallion logo (in which the red "S" in the center was said to be modeled after the Chinese yin-yang symbol, as per a recent Wikipedia update) was in use until December, 1981 IIRC. I am thinking they started using that logo sometime very late in 1981.

What do you think?

Ben (StoreLiker2005)