South Florida Updates

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

South Florida Updates

Post by Groceteria »

Did these before the holidays but I haven't posted till now. I've added lists for a good chunk of the Greater Miami area, with more to come:

Fort Lauderdale and Broward County: https://www.groceteria.com/place/florid ... rd-county/
Palm Beach County: https://www.groceteria.com/place/florid ... ch-county/

Each page has multiple subpages so this was a pretty big undertaking, even if some data sources were limited. I did infill with newspapers where possible.

Enjoy!
Steve Landry
Veteran

Re: South Florida Updates

Post by Steve Landry »

Groceteria wrote: โ†‘01 Jan 2024 18:10 Did these before the holidays but I haven't posted till now. I've added lists for a good chunk of the Greater Miami area, with more to come:

Fort Lauderdale and Broward County: https://www.groceteria.com/place/florid ... rd-county/
Palm Beach County: https://www.groceteria.com/place/florid ... ch-county/

Each page has multiple subpages so this was a pretty big undertaking, even if some data sources were limited. I did infill with newspapers where possible.

Enjoy!
Wonderful stuff!!!

It was nostalgic for me ๐Ÿคฉ

That store Food Fair in Hollywood near Young's Circle was the first grocery store I managed and I was only 21 (youngest in the company's history).

The Pantry Pride in Hallandale was another (had a J.M. Fields attached to it). Also that Publix in Wilton Manors was another I managed.

Nice to see you uncovered Carl's Supermarket (the REAL first supermarket chain in Florida - NOT Publix) and also Frederich's (notice this is the correct spelling)

I am suprised you did not bump into the combo format of Grand Union - Grandway.

So many Food Fairs, Pantry Prides and others destroyed and erased ๐Ÿ˜ž. Nice to see the Del Rey arched Food Fair building still standing.

Fantastic work David. I am always in awe of what you do.
The Food Fair Empire
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Steve Landry wrote: โ†‘02 Jan 2024 13:34 Wonderful stuff!!!
Thanks! I will correct that spelling issue.

I think Carl's showed up in the Miami-Dade stuff as well, and I will be adding new data to that at some unspecified point in the future as well.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

This is the last big South Florida update, though I may be able to do some small additions (like bringing Miami-Dade into the 1980s) later:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/florida/miami/suburbs/

And yes, Steve Landry, more Food Fairs!
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Groceteria wrote: โ†‘05 Sep 2024 20:04 This is the last big South Florida update, though I may be able to do some small additions (like bringing Miami-Dade into the 1980s) later:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/florida/miami/suburbs/

And yes, Steve Landry, more Food Fairs!
WOW!! What a bonanza of locations! Awesome work and discoveries. ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ˜

Some extant buildings still have the tower and Food Fair's common use of pink marble facades.

Some notes so far:

18342 N.W. 7 Av. was a Frederichs and I reopened it as a Pantry Pride (it's now a Presidente Market)

9875 S.W. 40 St. was Frederichs and I reopened it as a Pantry Pride (I think it's a Sedanos Market now)

Missing is 12254 S.W. 8 St. which was the first new build Pantry Pride that I opened in South Florida (which is now a Fresco Y Mas)

Can't seem to find the store (#223) that replaced the Dadeland Mall store (also #223)

So many memories of stores I managed and also my sister and ex-wife worked at.

I'm trying to identify the Cutler Ridge Food Fair - Pantry Pride off of Dixie Highway.

Thanks my friend!!!!!! You ROCK!

P.S. I still can't find the history of the Frederich's family. Also Frederichs had an affiliation with Shell City that Food Fair inherited.

P.P.S. There many more Food Fair Kosher stores, some attached to Food Fairs (no shared egress-ingress) and some were standalones. The ones that were attached were absorbed into the main building.
The Food Fair Empire
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Steve Landry wrote: โ†‘06 Sep 2024 12:52WOW!! What a bonanza of locations! Awesome work and discoveries. ๐Ÿ‘๐ŸŽ‰๐Ÿ˜
Glad you're pleased! I'll didg deeper into the locations you mentioned and see how much I can update, and also see if I can uncover any more info about the kosher stores!
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Steve Landry wrote: โ†‘06 Sep 2024 12:52Missing is 12254 S.W. 8 St. which was the first new build Pantry Pride that I opened in South Florida (which is now a Fresco Y Mas)
Do you recall what year this one opened? I can't find a reference for the address until Winn-Dixie in 1982. Food Fair apparently did not like to list individual location addresses in its newspaper ads in the 1970s (and there are no Polk directories after 1974-75 for Miami-Dade).
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Groceteria wrote: โ†‘06 Sep 2024 15:47
Steve Landry wrote: โ†‘06 Sep 2024 12:52Missing is 12254 S.W. 8 St. which was the first new build Pantry Pride that I opened in South Florida (which is now a Fresco Y Mas)
Do you recall what year this one opened? I can't find a reference for the address until Winn-Dixie in 1982. Food Fair apparently did not like to list individual location addresses in its newspaper ads in the 1970s (and there are no Polk directories after 1974-75 for Miami-Dade).
I'm thinking 1971 to 1974?
The Food Fair Empire
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Steve Landry wrote: โ†‘07 Sep 2024 11:34I'm thinking 1971 to 1974?
Thanks! I'll add it to the 1974-75 column then!
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

This site is often helpful regarding south Florida.

https://pbase.com/donboyd/memories_groceries
The Food Fair Empire
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Frederich's Supermarkets

645 N.W. 62 Street North Miami

8000 N.E. 5 Avenue Miami

1800 N.E. 183 Street N. Miami Beach

New build Pantry Pride at 13899 S.W. 88 Street (changed SYMS then Hobby Lobby)

Still can't find the new build Pantry Pride that replaced the Dadeland Mall Food Fair (converted to Pantry Pride then closed)
The Food Fair Empire
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Steve Landry wrote: โ†‘09 Sep 2024 20:46Still can't find the new build Pantry Pride that replaced the Dadeland Mall Food Fair (converted to Pantry Pride then closed)
I have a 1983 list that includes a location at 13005 SW 89 Pl. Could that be it?

Basically Food Fair/Pantry Pride just did not include location addresses in their ads through a good chunk of the 1970s. it's quite frustrating.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

There was a new build near or part of The Falls, 8888 SW 136th St, Miami, FL 33176.
The Food Fair Empire
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

Groceteria wrote: โ†‘12 Sep 2024 18:50
Steve Landry wrote: โ†‘09 Sep 2024 20:46Still can't find the new build Pantry Pride that replaced the Dadeland Mall Food Fair (converted to Pantry Pride then closed)
I have a 1983 list that includes a location at 13005 SW 89 Pl. Could that be it?

Basically Food Fair/Pantry Pride just did not include location addresses in their ads through a good chunk of the 1970s. it's quite frustrating.
There was a new build near or part of The Falls, 8888 SW 136th St, Miami, FL 33176 so that 13005 SW 89th Place may be the one.
The Food Fair Empire