NEW: Sheboygan WI, 1924-2020

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

NEW: Sheboygan WI, 1924-2020

Post by Groceteria »

I'm sure you've all been waiting for this one!

https://www.groceteria.com/place/us-wis ... sheboygan/
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: NEW: Sheboygan WI, 1924-2020

Post by Andrew T. »

Sheboygan...one of the many cities from my past! The window for me to do research there both opened and closed years ago, so thank you for plugging in another hole on the map in the Great Lakes watershed.

Interesting to see that National stuck around here for about as long as they did in Milwaukee! The address of their final store corresponds to the address for the Memorial Mall, which opened in 1969 and was demolished in 2017.

Here's an aerial photograph from 1970, showing its original configuration: The food store was branded "Del Farm" at the time, and it's visible in the near left corner next to G.C. Murphy. (source)

Another surprise: Even though the mall itself is gone, the original Del Farm/National building still stands (albeit gutted to oblivion), and presently houses a Powers Tire and Auto Service shop.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: NEW: Sheboygan WI, 1924-2020

Post by Groceteria »

It’s always disorienting when they tear down a mall but leave chunks of it standing.