475 Pim, Sault Ste. Marie, ON: Former Safeway Marina?

All things Canadian.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

475 Pim, Sault Ste. Marie, ON: Former Safeway Marina?

Post by Andrew T. »

Several years ago, a former resident gave me a tip-off that a Marina-type Safeway store once existed in Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario.

This was unexpected. Safeway didn't enter the GTA until the post-Marina era, and a Sault store would have had to have been supplied from Winnipeg if it had opened in advance of that: Talk about logistic difficulties! He also didn't give an address, and told me that he thought the building had been demolished.

But I was in the city today, and stumbled upon a slightly-expanded supermarket-like building with a rear roofline that was a bit interesting:
sault-1.jpg
sault-2.jpg
This is at 475 Pim Street.

From 1990 to 2000, the Sault city directories list this address as a Golden Mile Loeb IGA store. Vernon directories of the 1970s and 1980s don't have classified listings, so I wasn't able to untangle the earlier history of the location. But this news article on the property calls it "the old Safeway/Loeb grocery store."

Thoughts?
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: 475 Pim, Sault Ste. Marie, ON: Former Safeway Marina?

Post by Groceteria »

Look what I found in the 1984 city directory. I''ll dig in more when I have more time but I can date it back at least as far as 1972.

Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 9.30.37 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-05-01 at 9.30.37 PM.png (47.86 KiB) Viewed 963 times
mcbill2471
Contributor

Post by mcbill2471 »

There’s some real estate listings for the property up right now showing the aerial view and it is most definitely a Marina under there. In a Facebook group about growing up in Sault Ste. Marie there are a few posts that mention it. From the comments it was a Marina store, opened in the 60’s and became a Loeb IGA in the mid 80s.
Attachments
IMG_0700.png
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

Whoa, whoa, whoa! This is great, and it's getting better and better.

In another Facebook post, I found a picture of this actual store, lurking behind a pair of gas stations. It featured a full Marina facade with upturned wings, and a wonderful googie parking-lot sign. Several 1963/64-era stores in Winnipeg had identical signs...so perhaps the Sault Ste. Marie Safeway opened then?

It's exciting to discover a new Marina, and this Marina is the easternmost and southernmost one in Canada known to exist.
Attachments
sault-3.jpg
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
mcbill2471
Contributor

Post by mcbill2471 »

Awesome find! No doubt about it then. I did not know they had a Canadian store of that style that far south. From the looks of it Safeway sold it off around the same time as Oshawa bought the GTA stores.