I made a list of A&P locations... And I need your help with it

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

retail_person_247
Contributor

I made a list of A&P locations... And I need your help with it

Post by retail_person_247 »

Hey guys,

About a year ago I made a Google Sheet of A&P locations.

The list doesn't just contain A&P locations. It contains locations of A&P, Pathmark, Waldbaum's, Super Fresh, etc. Basically whatever brand A&P owned. The list also contains A&P's international locations. The aim for the list is to document every single A&P (and related chains) store location.

The list overall is still very much a work in progress so it's gonna be a while before I officially release it, but that's besides the point,

the point I'm trying to make is that; every store on my list has the date of closure listed, just as a general timeframe of the location. (There's no opening dates, just closing dates)

Most A&P store closure dates are difficult for me to find, here's where I want you come in.

What I need help with specifically is the closure dates of older A&P locations (mainly spanning from the original stores to the stores that closed sometime the 80's or possibly even the 90's)

What I did was I copied *only* the A&P locations onto a separate Google Sheet and made it publicly visible and editable.

If you find a closing date of a store that doesn't have a date listed (which include dates listed as "????") you can edit it and put the correct date. You don't need permission to edit the document.

I already filled in a small handful of dates.

The rest of the chains on my list (Waldbaum's, Super Fresh etc.) I'll eventually finish on my own.

I made the list about a year ago but I didn't add the store closure dates until recently

Also, even though the U.S. A&P has almost 700 locations listed so far, there's probably a lot of locations still missing. If you want to add missing locations as well feel free to do so but add them to the "other" tab.

This isn't an obligation just thought you guys might have the info I'm looking for. Or you might be interested in the project, or something.

Thanks,

- Retail_247

Here's the A&P list so far (Which again, is publicly visible and editable and only has the A&P locations)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Last edited by retail_person_247 on 28 Jul 2022 17:11, edited 1 time in total.
Retail_247
BillyGr
Veteran

Re: I made a list of A&P locations... And I need your help with it

Post by BillyGr »

Added a few to that other tab (after re-reading the directions and copying them there ;)

Also spotted this link on here with complete listings from 2001 and 2008 that might be of help

https://www.groceteria.com/store/nation ... ion-lists/

Just quick glancing I see a couple listed there you don't have (including a couple I suggested on the other tab but beyond that as well), and also gives at least an idea for some (if they appear in 2001 and not 2008, they obviously closed between those two years).
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

A worthy goal and I'm sure there are several thousand locations you could pull just from my lists here on this site. Keep in mind, though, that at its peak in the 1930s, A&P had over 15,000 locations in the US alone. To include every location that ever existed would probably be in the range of 20,000 to 25,000 addresses. Just want you to be prepared :)
BatteryMill
Contributor

Post by BatteryMill »

retail_person_247 wrote: 26 Jun 2022 23:31 Hey guys,

About a year ago I made a Google Sheet of A&P locations.

The list doesn't just contain A&P locations. It contains locations of A&P, Pathmark, Waldbaum's, Super Fresh, etc. Basically whatever brand A&P owned. The list also contains A&P's international locations. The aim for the list is to document every single A&P (and related chains) store location.

The list overall is still very much a work in progress so it's gonna be a while before I officially release it, but that's besides the point,

the point I'm trying to make is that; every store on my list has the date of closure listed, just as a general timeframe of the location. (There's no opening dates, just closing dates)

Most A&P store closure dates are difficult for me to find, here's where I want you come in.

What I need help with specifically is the closure dates of older A&P locations (mainly spanning from the original stores to the stores that closed sometime the 80's or possibly even the 90's)

What I did was I copied *only* the A&P locations onto a separate Google Sheet and made it publicly visible and editable.

If you find a closing date of a store that doesn't have a date listed (which include dates listed as "????") you can edit it and put the correct date. You don't need permission to edit the document.

I already filled in a small handful of dates.

The rest of the chains on my list (Waldbaum's, Super Fresh etc.) I'll eventually finish on my own.

I made the list about a year ago but I didn't add the store closure dates until recently so theres a small chance

Also, even though the U.S. A&P has almost 700 locations listed so far, there's probably a lot of locations still missing. If you want to add missing locations as well feel free to do so but add them to the "other" tab.

This isn't an obligation just thought you guys might have the info I'm looking for. Or you might be interested in the project, or something.

Thanks,

Here's the A&P list so far (Which again, is publicly visible and editable and only has the A&P locations)

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing
Nice project thus far! It's definitely going to be an undertaking but there's lots to work with already, and it'll be a great dive into retail history.

For sources that I'd say will help you, there's A&P Preservation's map (https://www.ap-preservation.com/p/store-map.html), the place spreadsheets on this website alongside other city directories, and the Chain Store Age archives from around 1926 to 1960.
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

I've added all the Seattle-area locations (in addition to the Edmonds Centennial that was already listed).

A&P entered the market in 1931 with the first store on Capitol Hill. They were limited to King County (and a one-off store in Bremerton) until the mid-60s, when they added locations in Tacoma, Everett, Edmonds, and Bellingham.

Around 1968, some of the stores converted to the A-Mart warehouse format then reverted to the A&P name when WEO was introduced.

A&P left the market in 1974. QFC and Tradewell split most of the Seattle locations. (Tradewell also picked up Bellingham.) Manley's, a local Tacoma operator, got the two stores there as well as Auburn. Bremerton went to Thurman Electric Supply. Everett also went the hardware store route, becoming a Pay 'n Pak the previous year.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

I just gave you about 30-35 stores in Louisiana to keep you busy for a bit.
Scott Greer