Pittsburg, Calif.-Central Avenue-1950s/60s Safeway & Lucky

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jason B.
Veteran

Pittsburg, Calif.-Central Avenue-1950s/60s Safeway & Lucky

Post by Jason B. »

Vintage grocery store aficionados in the San Francisco Bay Area should check out the former Lucky and Safeway buildings on Central Avenue near Railroad Avenue in Pittsburg. The grocery stores apparently closed long ago, but their former identities are apparent. Curiously, both are now small-scale manufacturing facilities.

At the northwesterly corner of Railroad Avenue and Central Avenue is a former Lucky (1160 Railroad Avenue). From a quick glance, it appeared reminiscent of the late, beloved Lucky on Alma Avenue in Palo Alto. It may be from the 1950s or 1960s. I believe that it is now occupied by Petsport USA, a manufacturer of dog and other pet toys.

On Central Avenue just to the east of its intersection with Railroad Avenue is a former Safeway. The building still has the tall pylon tower (akin to the beloved 1950s Lodi Safeway and the 1950s Livermore Safeway that still stands on First Street as Dom's Surplus). It most recently was a (roller?) skating rink. Now it is or soon will be the home of Raymar Foods, a manufacturer of Filipino foodstuffs (relocated from elsewhere in Pittsburg).

I'd like to know more about the histories of these buildings. Apparently Central Avenue was the hub of Pittsburg's chain supermarkets in the 1950s and '60s.

These buildings certainly have seen better days (reminds me of that line from "Hamlet" -- "To what base uses we may return, Horatio!"), but they are still serving valuable functions and providing good jobs.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Pittsburg, Calif.-Central Avenue-1950s/60s Safeway & Lucky

Post by Groceteria »

Pittsburg Safeway photo from this site, circa 1999, when it was still a skating rink:

romleys
Veteran

Post by romleys »

Per my photo on flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/romleys/1818305165/

The postcard is from personal archives as are the thousands of photos on my pages.
Charles H:)
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Nice photo. I wonder at what point the pylon went blue...
Jason B.
Veteran

Post by Jason B. »

I have an exterior photo of the Pittsburg, Calif. former Safeway store on Central Avenue, taken on November 24, 2013. It then was used by "Ramar Foods International."
Attachments
2013 11 24-Pittsburg Calif-former Central Ave Safeway.jpg
Jason B.
Veteran

Post by Jason B. »

The "East Bay Times" recently ran an article about Ramar Foods, which has taken over the former Pittsburg, Calif. Central Avenue Safeway store building:
https://www.eastbaytimes.com/2022/12/30 ... r-of-love/

The headline in the digital edition reads, "Heading East Bay Filipino food manufacturing, distributing company a labor of love
East Bay woman gave up teaching to take over the family’s growing Pittsburg business"

The former Safeway store sign pylon is visible in the photo taken for the article.