A&P bakery only locations?

This is the place for general and miscellaneous posts on topics which might extend past the boundaries of any specific region.

Moderator: Groceteria

retail_person_247
Contributor

A&P bakery only locations?

Post by retail_person_247 »

I found this news article implying that A&P had stores that were stand alone bakery's and only sold bake goods. According to said news article, the last A&P bakery closed in 1992

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xp ... story.html

Does anybody have any info on this?
Retail_247
pseudo3d
Veteran

Re: A&P bakery only locations?

Post by pseudo3d »

I think its bakery production sites. A lot of supermarkets have bakeries, dairies, and other production plants. Safeway had them (pre-Albertsons), even into the late 1990s or early 2000s Safeway manufactured their own pet food, Kroger has them, H-E-B has them, Winn-Dixie used to have them.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Definitely a production facility. A&P and other chains had them in numerous cities, as pseudo3d notes. The one in Baltimore was part of their office/warehouse compound, some or all of which still stands. In fact, there seems to still be a bakery facility there, for the Crispy Bagel Co.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

Groceteria wrote: 22 Jul 2022 17:32 Definitely a production facility. A&P and other chains had them in numerous cities, as pseudo3d notes. The one in Baltimore was part of their office/warehouse compound, some or all of which still stands. In fact, there seems to still be a bakery facility there, for the Crispy Bagel Co.
And probably even more so with A&P, given that at one time they had their own facilities that made or packaged just about everything that had their (various) store brand names on it, while many other chains have someone else make and package those items (or at least a good amount of those items) for them.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

They probably were the last major chain in include in-store bakeries, but before that they had a fairly extensive selection of house brand baked goods, more than most other chains. I dimly remember that those were among the things we went to A&P to buy. Many people fondly remember their Spanish bar cake. I liked their donut balls and their macaroons as a kid. When they got rid of the Jane Parker line (the old house brand for baked goods), they also got rid of all the old favorites.

Kroger had bakeries attached to distribution facilities. The one in Solon Ohio (the old Cleveland DC) also produced baked goods for some of their competitors like the local Pick-n-Pay chain. The facility is now occupied by Schwebel's which is a regional bread bakery.
jleyerle
Contributor

Post by jleyerle »

Apparently they did do cake decorating at their central bakeries--recently saw a mention that you could order personalized cakes from store locations w/o in-store bakeries.
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

rich wrote: 23 Jul 2022 12:31 They probably were the last major chain in include in-store bakeries, but before that they had a fairly extensive selection of house brand baked goods, more than most other chains. I dimly remember that those were among the things we went to A&P to buy. Many people fondly remember their Spanish bar cake. I liked their donut balls and their macaroons as a kid. When they got rid of the Jane Parker line (the old house brand for baked goods), they also got rid of all the old favorites.

Kroger had bakeries attached to distribution facilities. The one in Solon Ohio (the old Cleveland DC) also produced baked goods for some of their competitors like the local Pick-n-Pay chain. The facility is now occupied by Schwebel's which is a regional bread bakery.
Safeway did too. There's not many Safeway bakeries around anymore (and I think either Seattle or Portland's was closed and sold off after Albertsons) but in their heyday, they had them for most divisions. The Houston DC of Safeway had a bakery and milk plant adjacent to the main facility. These are still in use by H-E-B, which owns the facility today.