Calif. Mtn. Safeway Location?

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Old_Dragon
Novice Member

Calif. Mtn. Safeway Location?

Post by Old_Dragon »

In January 1978 a young lady and I took a weekend trip to somewhere in the mountains (southern?) of California. Sadly my notes of where we went are nonexistent yet I have this poor panorama photo taken from the deck of our rental house.

In it, with a little patience, one can spot a Safeway store. Using Google Maps I have exhausted the likely locations (to include Big Bear, Mammoth Lakes, etc.) but have been unable to find a sure location based on terrain (the mountain to the left is distinctive). So I am requesting help in possible candidate locations. TNX
Attachments
safewayC.jpg
PanoramaC.jpg
storewanderer

Re: Calif. Mtn. Safeway Location?

Post by storewanderer »

Looks like a rather desolate location. Definitely not Mammoth Lakes or Big Bear. Could it have been a spot down closer to the Mexico border (like Alpine area?)?

Do you recall any other businesses surrounding or nearby the store?

Maybe a long closed store, which would make it that much harder to identify.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Old_Dragon
Novice Member

Re: Calif. Mtn. Safeway Location?

Post by Old_Dragon »

Storewanderer
Thank you for the reply. Concur with your desolate observation. At the time I was living in Hermosa Beach and spent my mountain time north of LA to include the Sierras along 395. I cannot recall ever spending any time to the south. The photo is one from a box of slides. Other activities captured on film are easily identifiable. On the box exterior I “documented” at some point in the past what was captured. There is an entry which says Mt Baldy. But, there does not appear to be Safeway in Mt Baldy today, I cannot get a good match on the terrain using Google and it’s hard for me to believe that Safeway had such a large store for an area which even today let alone 50 years ago is pretty small. Hence my quest for alternative locations. TNX