NEW: Altoona, 1925-2020

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

NEW: Altoona, 1925-2020

Post by Groceteria »

Altoona turned out to be more interesting and more time-consuming than I expected, with all the small service stores in evidence eceb into the early 1960s. A&P kept a counter-service store open until 1956, even (see attached).

Anyway, enjoy:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/pennsylvania/altoona/

Altoona.jpg
rich
Veteran

Re: NEW: Altoona, 1925-2020

Post by rich »

A&P had a division and a warehouse in Altoona up until the 1980s. They sometimes had them in places that seemed too close to a more major city. Toledo was another, bigger example. I think they also had one in Fort Wayne.

I’m surprised Thorofare wasn’t here.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

There were briefly (in 1941) Streamline Markets in Altoona and Hollidaysburg, which I'm assuming were the same Streamline chain that was Thorofare's predecessor, but I'm not sure about that. Thorofare was in Johnstown but maybe that's as far east as they got.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

Thorofare went pretty far South (Fairmont WV, East Liverpool, Ohio) by the mid 50s, but they didn't seem to go very far North, East, or West. Eastward they would have run into the dropoff of the Allegheny Plateau (Altoona is close to this) which is an adventure to drive even in dry weather in a sedan, let alone a semi. That seems like a natural barrier they respected.

The A&P warehouse is for sale: https://abcdcorp.org/properties/24-Offi ... 6602-%240/
jleyerle
Contributor

Post by jleyerle »

That's a cool article! Wonder what the last service store in the A&P system was--either the one on Royal in New Orleans or perhaps one somewhere in NYC.
mjhale
Contributor

Post by mjhale »

rich wrote: 28 Jun 2022 21:58 A&P had a division and a warehouse in Altoona up until the 1980s. They sometimes had them in places that seemed too close to a more major city. Toledo was another, bigger example. I think they also had one in Fort Wayne.

I’m surprised Thorofare wasn’t here.
Do you know the coverage area for the A&P Altoona warehouse? My family is from Clinton County PA which is NE a couple of counties from Altoona. There were A&P stores in Lock Haven and Renovo that closed in 1982. I was always curious where A&P supplied these stores from. The mountainous terrain of this area would not have been easy at all to get stock from Altoona up to Clinton county when the stores would have been open. Even now with modern interstates the winter is dicey because the freeways were built close to the peaks of the mountains. But with the Altoona division going out in the 1980s it would coincide with when the Clinton County PA A&P stores closed.
mjhale
Contributor

Jubilee Foods Re: NEW: Altoona, 1925-2020

Post by mjhale »

Does anyone have any background on Jubilee Foods? It was a small chain that I ran across traveling through Altoona over the years. At some point they sold out to Ahold who is using the Martins name in Altoona due to Giant Eagle also being there. The only one of the still operating Martins stores that looks like it is in a Jubilee building is the 2032 E Pleasant Valley Road location.
BillyGr
Veteran

Re: Jubilee Foods Re: NEW: Altoona, 1925-2020

Post by BillyGr »

mjhale wrote: 10 Dec 2022 09:47 Does anyone have any background on Jubilee Foods? It was a small chain that I ran across traveling through Altoona over the years. At some point they sold out to Ahold who is using the Martins name in Altoona due to Giant Eagle also being there. The only one of the still operating Martins stores that looks like it is in a Jubilee building is the 2032 E Pleasant Valley Road location.
Not sure about the background, but there are still some stores operating with that name. A quick search brings up Emmittsburg, Maryland, Horseheads, NY and Madison, Minnesota. They all have a similar looking logo that (as best as I can remember) looks like what the chain used in the past.

Was trying to remember if this was one of those chains that was connected to a wholesaler that went out of business at some point (for instance, the one that supplied Kmart super stores) and that was how some (but not all) the stores got sold to Ahold, while a few scattered ones were maybe like franchises and they stayed independent, using the name with some other wholesale option?

EDIT - OK, if I actually read one of the sites... ;)

https://shopjubileefoods.com/about/ (This is the MD one) - One of the current owners previously worked for Fleming companies (that's the Kmart wholesaler) that also owned Jubilee. So, what I was trying to remember above is actually what it was!
mjhale
Contributor

Post by mjhale »

BillyGr wrote: 11 Dec 2022 12:58 EDIT - OK, if I actually read one of the sites... ;)

https://shopjubileefoods.com/about/ (This is the MD one) - One of the current owners previously worked for Fleming companies (that's the Kmart wholesaler) that also owned Jubilee. So, what I was trying to remember above is actually what it was!
I'm guessing that the 2000 date that the current ownership got the Emmitsburg store is around when Flemming went bust? There was another Flemming owned chain in Central PA and a few towns in MD under the name of Festival Foods. Weis bought several of their old locations in 2000 when I assume Fleming went out of business. If this is the case we could probably say that Ahold probably got the Jubilee stores in the Altoona area at that time and the rest went to franchisee stores like the one in Emmitsburg, MD. I recall that the Jubilee stores were more like standard grocery stores whereas the Festival Foods store were more of a warehouse concept. The was a Festival Foods on Union Deposit Road in Harrisburg that I used to stop at on my way back to college in Northcentral PA. Festival had a nice hot foods area that was a good change from fast food. The rest of the store was warehouse shelving and lots of price impact type displays if I remember correctly.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

mjhale wrote: 11 Dec 2022 20:52
BillyGr wrote: 11 Dec 2022 12:58 EDIT - OK, if I actually read one of the sites... ;)

I'm guessing that the 2000 date that the current ownership got the Emmitsburg store is around when Flemming went bust? There was another Flemming owned chain in Central PA and a few towns in MD under the name of Festival Foods. Weis bought several of their old locations in 2000 when I assume Fleming went out of business. If this is the case we could probably say that Ahold probably got the Jubilee stores in the Altoona area at that time and the rest went to franchisee stores like the one in Emmitsburg, MD. I recall that the Jubilee stores were more like standard grocery stores whereas the Festival Foods store were more of a warehouse concept. The was a Festival Foods on Union Deposit Road in Harrisburg that I used to stop at on my way back to college in Northcentral PA. Festival had a nice hot foods area that was a good change from fast food. The rest of the store was warehouse shelving and lots of price impact type displays if I remember correctly.
I believe that Fleming went bankrupt just after Kmart went into bankruptcy, as they were owed a fair amount of money for supplying the Kmart locations (especially the Super stores) and Kmart was their big client, making it hard to offset losses from them with other accounts. So, whenever the Kmart one was, they would be close behind.