NEW: Johnstown PA 1925-1960

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

NEW: Johnstown PA 1925-1960

Post by Groceteria »

While it's fresh in my mind following my visit earlier this week. I hope to add later locations before too long. And nearby Altoona is next:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/pennsy ... johnstown/
rich
Veteran

Re: NEW: Johnstown PA 1925-1960

Post by rich »

Cupp's was acquired by American Stores and formed the nucleus of their Johnstown Division which ranged down to Morgantown WV and into the Pittsburgh area. It was never a large division and the stores were rather scattered with never more than a half dozen in Greater Pittsburgh.

Paul Cupp of Cupp's eventually was the Acme president.

Interesting that so many former A&P locations were later developed by someone else. Some obviously were bulldozed, others look like they may have been early A&P supers.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Interesting Acme background. Thanks.

It’s also noteworthy that A&P took great advantage of its tendency toward really short lease terms (with options) in the 1930s and 1940s in Johnstown. I’m working on Altoona now, and their locations there during the same period were much more stable.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

This one is now updated through 2020. The assorted Riverside/BiLo/Ideal stores got a little weird near the end, especially with the city directories becoming less accurate after 2000. I did what I could.

https://www.groceteria.com/place/pennsy ... johnstown/