Rocky Ford, CO - Safeway

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

Rocky Ford, CO - Safeway

Post by storewanderer »

There is a grocery store in Rocky Ford, CO that is clearly a former Safeway.

Beyond some wood paneling over the meat department there isn't much left of Safeway in this store from the looks of it. The wall decor has obviously been re-done, and I am pretty sure the floor has been re-done too. This is a pretty dire store, it just barely passes as a store really. Definite step down from what Safeway would offer this town (even Safeway's CO offering is poor/weak).

The Facebook for this store claims to have been in business for 35+ years. So I guess Safeway left Rocky Ford in the 80's for some reason. I wonder why they left? The town had a 4k population in the 80's and has a 3k population today but Safeway does business in many small towns with 3k population. Also off topic but there was also a convenience store in Rocky Ford called "Tank N Tummy" which after you got past the slop imaging was obviously a former Loves (c-store only, not a truck stop) so it appears they left this town at some point too, who knows when.

The good news is the La Junta Safeway has still received basically no capex. They did remove one of the S logos out front to install a "Drive Up and Go" sign (didn't paint over the old logo frame- looks awful). Same for the Walsenburg Safeway (gable with Marketplace interior) and the Lamar Safeway (not sure what this store is/was but it seems like it isn't an original Safeway; has the mid 90's interior).
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: Rocky Ford, CO - Safeway

Post by Andrew T. »

Sounds like an excellent specimen! What is the address (or better yet, a photo or Google Street View link)?
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

La Junta is probably the last example of the italic wall letters interior now. The building is somewhat strange and I think it has been expanded multiple times into its current odd form. It feels quite large.

Not sure if there are a few other Marketplace interiors still sitting around somewhere. I can't think of any offhand.

Also Safeway has not spent any money in Burlington, CO yet. The Google listing for the store is a mess with a lot of photos not of the store. The street view gives the idea what to expect inside the store.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/