NEW: Memphis TN 1917-1990

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

NEW: Memphis TN 1917-1990

Post by Groceteria »

This is a pretty big one (and it documents the very first Piggly Wiggly stores):

https://www.groceteria.com/place/tennessee/memphis/
rich
Veteran

Re: NEW: Memphis TN 1917-1990

Post by rich »

Interesting that Jitney Jungle was there for a very short time. They remained in the Mississippi Delta (places like Greenwood) that were not too far from Memphis until Winn-Dixie bought them in the 90s.

National entered the market by buying Montesi's, which had 9 stores and a warehouse, in 1955. It looks like some of the Nationals were built by National. I wonder if the Montesi's included small stores that they closed. Fred Montesi re-entered the business before National left the market---there was some litigation around his non-compete with them. Montesi's last store closed not long ago. National departed in 1967. They had expanded to Little Rock and Nashville without much success, with Memphis as the base. They lost a lot of money in their Memphis Division which was subsidized by other Divisions. I'll see if I can find the FTC report that documented all this.