NEW: Harrisburg and Carlisle PA

Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, and West Virginia.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

NEW: Harrisburg and Carlisle PA

Post by Groceteria »

Three new lists for your holiday viewing pleasure, documenting the cradle of Weis Markets and Giant-PA:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/pennsy ... -carlisle/

I'm off to the family gathering and then vacationing. Happy Boxing Day Eve!
Steve Landry
Veteran

Re: NEW: Harrisburg and Carlisle PA

Post by Steve Landry »

Groceteria wrote: 25 Dec 2021 12:43 Three new lists for your holiday viewing pleasure, documenting the cradle of Weis Markets and Giant-PA:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/pennsy ... -carlisle/

I'm off to the family gathering and then vacationing. Happy Boxing Day Eve!
Thanks and Happy Holidays to you!!

xoxoxoxo
The Food Fair Empire
mjhale
Contributor

Post by mjhale »

A couple of items re the Carlisle list:

1706 Spring Street: Josh over on Flickr has this store as Safeway, Shurfine and then Karns. You also note in your listing "106 Carlisle Plaza". I think you have 1706 Spring Street and Carlisle Plaza mixed up. What is now half Dollar Tree and half empty at 650 East High Street next to what was originally Carlisle Plaza Mall (now The Pointe at Carlisle Plaza) is the original Giant "supermarket" building in Carlisle. After Giant moved to Spring Garden Street my recollection was the building was half a long running Office Max and a variety of dollar store type places. When Giant was still open here there was a plaque at the entrance to Giant commemorating this as the first Giant supermarket in town.

365 East High Street: I'm glad to finally know that Food Fair was here before Weis. Looking at the aerial view of this store there is a portion that has an arched roof. I've wondered if this was originally a marina style Safeway. There are no clues inside the building as Weis has always had a drop ceiling.

1151 Harrisburg Pike: There has never been a Giant store at this location. These have always been Ahold offices as long as I can remember. Ahold also has some office space on the other side of the Turnpike next to the Hampton Inn and Residence Inn.
Steve Landry
Veteran

Post by Steve Landry »

That first photo looks almost exactly like a Winn Dixie when they had "The Beef People" slogan on the front.
The Food Fair Empire