2 Pathmark stores right next to each other?

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

retail_person_247
Contributor

2 Pathmark stores right next to each other?

Post by retail_person_247 »

I was looking at a Pathmark Super Center on Google Street View when I noticed that there was another Path Mark right next door (?)

Here's the Google Street view link of the store:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/227+C ... -73.990812

The Pathmark Super Center doesn't appear to have a pharmacy while the other Pathmark right next door does. Was the other Pathmark just used for a pharmacy?
Retail_247
BillyGr
Veteran

Re: 2 Pathmark stores right next to each other?

Post by BillyGr »

Looks like they just split the store into two different buildings - probably a lack of one large enough space (which is often an issue in more populous areas).

The white fronted section is the supermarket, the brick part is the pharmacy.

Not sure what that 2nd photo (the one with all the construction barricades) has to do with anything?
marketreportblog

Post by marketreportblog »

BillyGr is exactly right -- the brick building would've been a pharmacy/drugstore only. At one time, there were quite a few Pathmark drugstores freestanding, though I believe they were concentrated in New Jersey primarily, and they were all sold except this one several decades ago.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

I vaguely remember seeing signage (though I think the store was closed by that point) many years ago outside the Pittsfield (MA) area (more like Lenox) of what looked like a Pathmark store, so those drugstore only ones may have spread a bit further than the actual supermarkets ever did.

Being as far back as that would be, searching on the internet doesn't find much, unfortunately.
TW-Upstate NY
Veteran

Post by TW-Upstate NY »

BillyGr wrote: 09 Aug 2021 10:52 I vaguely remember seeing signage (though I think the store was closed by that point) many years ago outside the Pittsfield (MA) area (more like Lenox) of what looked like a Pathmark store, so those drugstore only ones may have spread a bit further than the actual supermarkets ever did.
Speaking of which, wasn't there a Pathmark drug store in Latham at one time back in the day? I'm thinking it may have been around the same area as Edwards Food Warehouse.
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

TW-Upstate NY wrote: 09 Aug 2021 11:30
BillyGr wrote: 09 Aug 2021 10:52 I vaguely remember seeing signage (though I think the store was closed by that point) many years ago outside the Pittsfield (MA) area (more like Lenox) of what looked like a Pathmark store, so those drugstore only ones may have spread a bit further than the actual supermarkets ever did.
Speaking of which, wasn't there a Pathmark drug store in Latham at one time back in the day? I'm thinking it may have been around the same area as Edwards Food Warehouse.
I don't remember that one (I do remember the Edwards, though - that even seemed odd - the only other store of theirs I knew was a Finast down in Chatham and beyond that no clue where the next closest was - maybe into NJ?). Perhaps it goes back too far for me, or just somehow overlooked it (we did go to Edwards a few times, but otherwise normally seemed to stick to the mall or stores on that side like Bradlees and didn't go out on 7, or even down 2 towards Watervliet until somewhat later on).
kbraker510
Contributor

Post by kbraker510 »

The Pathmark I remember in Danbury Ct(Newtown Rd) had the pharmacy as a seprate building within the regular store. I was next to the entrance. It had its own entrance doors that meant one way. It seemed as if they did a remodel/expansion and built around it..