Wyandotte, Lincoln Park and other Downriver burbs chain history

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Wyandotte, Lincoln Park and other Downriver burbs chain history

Post by Groceteria »

Abner is the name I was trying to remember.
mburb1981
Contributor

Post by mburb1981 »

I decided to make a few adjustments to both lists following a research of a 1975 Wyandotte directory at Bacon Memorial District Library today. This directory (or what I was able to go through with my limited time) listed three A&Ps (Riverview, 131 Elm and 3859 West Jefferson in Ecorse), the Wyandotte Danny's and two Krogers (Wyandotte and Grosse Ile). Further visits to that library will wait until our local weather warms up.

To reflect that this year is now 2020, I've changed some of the latter columns, and added a new 1980 column as well.

Finally, Southgate locations are now listed in the Wyandotte sheet rather than Lincoln Park's, to reflect the fact that some 1950's Wyandotte directories listed addresses in the part of then-Ecorse Township that later became part of Southgate.
mburb1981
Contributor

Post by mburb1981 »

After a little bit of research, I was able to decipher some more information relating to 3901 Fort Street in Wyandotte. It was apparently rebranded, as with the entire Danny's chain, as Select IGA by 1999 (August 1, 1999 Westland Observer includes an ad for Select IGA). Select IGA lasted only two years, closing it's doors in 2001. The Wyandotte table has been adjusted accordingly.
mburb1981
Contributor

Post by mburb1981 »

Just found a Trenton Trib article which gives a brief history on grocery stores in Trenton. Through this, I discovered that A&P had briefly occupied the Chatham space at Trafford Square (3000 Van Horn) in 1990, obviously closing by 1994 and replaced by Seaway Food Town. The Wyandotte table has again been adjusted accordingly.
mburb1981
Contributor

Post by mburb1981 »

With some time that freed up for me today, I came home with a library card that I picked up from the Bacon Memorial District Library and redid the two spreadsheets based off of directories available on Ancestry. I was finally able to access 1940s-1950s directories for Wyandotte as well as several Lincoln Park directories.

Wyandotte, Southgate, River Rouge, Ecorse, Grosse Ile, Riverview, and Trenton chain grocery/supermarket history (1921-1959 and 1975)
Lincoln Park, Allen Park, and Melvindale chain grocery/supermarket history (1929-1960)
mburb1981
Contributor

Post by mburb1981 »

Once again, I have expanded the Wyandotte and Lincoln Park sheets from 1965 onward, and as before I've pieced it together through several history websites (including Downriver Locations Thru the Years and the Southgate Historical Foundation's excellent business history directory), the Detroit Free Press archive on newspapers.com, listings on Google Books, and my own familiarity with the Downriver area. There might still be a couple of gaps, but overall the sheet extensions provide a good flow into the present day.
mburb1981
Contributor

Post by mburb1981 »

2023 listings added to both sheets, and 1956 has replaced 1958 on the Wyandotte sheet, thanks to me discovering about the existence of the 1956 Downriver city directory and several others between 1941 and 1962 at Haithitrust.

The sheets should be posted on Groceteria soon.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Great stuff. I will work on getting these added as soon as I can!