Foodland - Kaneohe, HI

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

justin karimzad
Veteran

Foodland - Kaneohe, HI

Post by justin karimzad »

This is an engineering marvel as much as it is a daring space-age design. Foodland supermarkets of Oahu opened their Kaneohe store in the Windward City shopping center in November, 1958. The shopping center featured wavy awnings, and was described in the grand opening advertisement as "Air-borne buildings for the jet age". The showpiece was the Foodland, one of the largest concrete shell structures in the world, and the largest in Hawaii. The supermarket featured a four-way arch roof, supported only by the buttresses. The supermarket building remains fairly original, although the front arch is now partially obscured by shop spaces built out front. At some point, reinforcing columns were added to help support the roof. The rest of the shopping center was remodeled in the mid-1990s, and the wavy awnings were obscured.
https://www.facebook.com/vintageHONOLUL ... 016000217/
Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: Foodland - Kaneohe, HI

Post by Andrew T. »

FYI, your link just gives me a Facebook login screen.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

Andrew T. wrote: 04 Apr 2021 11:59 FYI, your link just gives me a Facebook login screen.
Came up with photos for me - perhaps you aren't logged in to Facebook in general?
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

BillyGr wrote: 04 Apr 2021 14:29 Came up with photos for me - perhaps you aren't logged in to Facebook in general?
Of course I'm not logged in: I don't have a Facebook account, and I resent the presumption that I should. That's why I post here instead!
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
BillyGr
Veteran

Post by BillyGr »

Not that you have to, but some of the pages won't show up for someone without an account (though others will be readable) - apparently this is one of those that only shows to those with an account.
Probably the only reason I have one - just to be able to see some things like that, not actually using it for much else (and only giving the minimal information to sign up, not really filling out all the "Details" that they offer).
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

Andrew T, sorry for the difficulty in viewing the photos. This link shows the color photo of the completed store:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/258323728599065458/