University Washington Safeway

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

explorersea
Contributor

University Washington Safeway

Post by explorersea »

The Seattle "UW" Safeway #91 on Brooklyn is being replaced with a modern mixed use site store happening more frequently in tight real estate urban markets. The 26,000 square foot barrel roof store with a basement was opened in 1950. The small store has always experienced high foot traffic of college students purchasing a lot of beer, checkers at this store receive additional age identification training. A Hot Deli and Pharmacy were added to this store in the 1990s, but the Pharmacy didn't pan out and was removed. Pictures attached are from the 1990's and current.
Attachments
UV Safeway III.jpg
UV Safeway III.jpg (14.82 KiB) Viewed 1592 times
University Store II.JPG
UV safeway.jpg
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: University Washington Safeway

Post by Groceteria »

Sigh. I remember driving by the store on a trip to Seattle almost 20 years ago and thinking I should stop in later. Never got the chance.
explorersea
Contributor

Post by explorersea »

Update for University Washington Safeway, it has been demolished
Attachments
U District Safeway December.jpg
U District Safeway December 3.jpg
U Disctrict Safeway December 2.jpg
explorersea
Contributor

Post by explorersea »

I forgot that I had this picture of the interior of store 91 from October 1982, the store was still using Sweda Power Penny registers, cigarettes were behind the checker of course
Attachments
Safeway 91 October 1982.jpg
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

explorersea wrote: 19 Dec 2020 11:43 Update for University Washington Safeway, it has been demolished
Interesting that they didn't remove the checkstands and shelving before demolition started...seems like they could repurpose the shelving for use at other stores.
explorersea
Contributor

Post by explorersea »

I thought the same thing Super S, before the Albertsons buy out we used to keep and store checkstands all the time, I assume now the desire is to buy new for new stores and renovations going forward. Plus I don't know that Albertsons/Safeway wants to pay a vendor to store used checkstands anymore.