Hughes market La Habra ca

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

GaryED44
Contributor

Hughes market La Habra ca

Post by GaryED44 »

I'll always remember the Hughes market that was on Whittier blvd and Idaho in La Habra Ca. I loved the way the store was layed out with the half height isles in the front of the store. Always one of my favorite places to go. the associates working there were friendly and very helpful. I was always treated like an old friend not just a customer. After the location changed hands it went to hell. Bunch of unfriendly people that treated you like crap for just shopping there. Never really kept clean either after the change.

Gary
Last edited by GaryED44 on 15 Feb 2018 18:04, edited 6 times in total.
J-Man
Veteran

Re: Hughes market Whittier ca

Post by J-Man »

The intersection of Whittier and Idaho is in La Habra (Orange Co.), not Whittier (L.A. Co.)
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

It looks like it was probably built as a Market Basket.

Was the banner history Market Basket / Hughes / Ralphs / Northgate-Gonzales ?
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

J-Man wrote:The intersection of Whittier and Idaho is in La Habra (Orange Co.), not Whittier (L.A. Co.)
Thanks My friend I goofed

Gary
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

klkla wrote:It looks like it was probably built as a Market Basket.

Long as I can remember it was a Hughes then Ralphs I think

Gary
GaryED44
Contributor

Re: Hughes market La Habra ca

Post by GaryED44 »

The one visit I'l always remember is one night about 10:30 I wanted to get a 6 pac of soda but all i had was $2 in pennies. So I rolled them up and drove to Albertsons that used to be in La Mirada at Telegraph and Imperial Highway. I was about to check out and the Cashier refused the Rolled Pennies saying "I can't do anything with those" I said ok and went to the Huges in La Habra and they took them with no Problems.

Gary
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

GaryED44 wrote:

Gary
The reason I think it was a Market Basket is because on Google Maps there are still some images of the building before Northgate-Gonzalez did their remodel and the store is definitely the prototype that Market Basket used in the last five years or so before Kroger sold out.

You can see it here:
https://www.google.com/maps/@33.9398689 ... 312!8i6656

There are a lot of examples of this Market Basket prototype all over SoCal.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/W+8th ... 18.3090945
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

klkla wrote:
GaryED44 wrote:

Gary
The reason I think it was a Market Basket is because on Google Maps there are still some images of the building before Northgate-Gonzalez did their remodel and the store is definitely the prototype that Market Basket used in the last five years or so before Kroger sold out.

You can see it here:

Ohhh ok. I never went to a Market Basket with that style of building. the only one I frequented was the Santa Fe Springs California location it had the huge basket weave sign over the store entrance.

Gary
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

klkla wrote:
GaryED44 wrote:

Gary

You can see it here:

My Mom used to go to a location with that style of buidlng at Whittier Blvd and Painter next to Jacks Whittier Restaraunt

Gary
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

GaryED44 wrote:My Mom used to go to a location with that style of buidlng at Whittier Blvd and Painter next to Jacks Whittier Restaraunt

Gary
Yes, that's definitely the Market Basket protoype they had when they left Southern California.
GaryED44
Contributor

Post by GaryED44 »

klkla wrote:
GaryED44 wrote:My Mom used to go to a location with that style of buidlng at Whittier Blvd and Painter next to Jacks Whittier Restaraunt

Gary
Yes, that's definitely the Market Basket protoype they had when they left Southern California.
I think its a Big Lots store now!

Gary
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

The prominent hispanic chain Northgate Gonazles took over...they also bought most of that shopping center and did a massive remodel both interior and exterior and brought in surrounding tenants. That store is now HUGE and includes a unique express kitchen (Pronto) and other innovative features that make it Northgate's flagship store (the Lennox store that former FLOTUS Michelle Obama visited was their flagship until La Habra opened). The 21st century appearance look quite similar to newer Whole Foods locations and are the future of Northgate when it remodels stores or opens new locations. It replaced their much older nearby 1960's era store on La Habra Blvd (which used to be a Lucky that closed in 1999 as part of the Albertsons merger),
OCRedCub
Contributor

Post by OCRedCub »

The old La Habra Blvd Northgate-Gonzalez store (#2 in that chain) was built in the late 1950s as an Alpha Beta. Many La Habrans worked at the AB distribution center or bakery and were loyal shoppers for many years. It was a Suttles Marked briefly before becoming Northgate.