Florida Choice store list

Alabama, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.

Moderator: Groceteria

pokemonprime

Florida Choice store list

Post by pokemonprime »

Florida Choice was a very short lived chain in Florida by Kroger, that was only in existence for two years, from 1986 to 1988. It was a successor to Kroger's SupeRx Food & Drug stores also down here in Florida. After the sale of SupeRx drug stores, I believe they wanted to shift away from the name, as well as pilot bigger supermarkets than a typical SupeRx Food & Drug store. Despite only being in existence for two years, my research (largely from newspaper advertisements of the time) shows that they had 45 stores, with some still under construction and never opened when the chain was sold piecemeal, to other operators such as Goodings and Kash n Karry,

It seems a minority of stores were actually built ground up, with a large number of stores being converted from predecessor SupeRx Food & Drug (or their other nameplates, such as Orlando Foodway), or from a purchase of a large number of A&P Family Marts.

Anyway, here is a link to the list; I believe it is largely complete, save for store numbers (likely will require some serious digging through county records, it's where my friend got the first batch for the Brevard County stores), and maybe accounting for one or two more never opened locations.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... sp=sharing

One thing to note is that I believe a store's heritage can be determined by it's number. So far, every 500 series store has been a former SupeRx, every 600 series store a new-build, and every 700 series store a former A&P Family Mart.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Florida Choice store list

Post by Groceteria »

Wow! This is great. Thank you.