Vons Locations, 1967

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

rpv

Re: Vons Locations, 1967

Post by rpv »

27824 Indian Peak Road, Rolling Hills--Industrial park
That one is a Pavilions. The address listed is for Peninsula Center, the open-air shopping plaza in which the store is located. I think it's been a Pavilions for about 20 years now, and was recently remodeled.
klkla
Veteran

Post by klkla »

rpv wrote:
That one is a Pavilions. The address listed is for Peninsula Center, the open-air shopping plaza in which the store is located. I think it's been a Pavilions for about 20 years now, and was recently remodeled.
Are you sure about that? The address for Pavilions in Rolling Hills is 7 PENINSULA CENTER. I remember this as an old Safeway that was enlarged and remodeled into a Pavilions around 1990.
rpv

Post by rpv »

klkla wrote:
rpv wrote:
Are you sure about that? The address for Pavilions in Rolling Hills is 7 PENINSULA CENTER. I remember this as an old Safeway that was enlarged and remodeled into a Pavilions around 1990.
Yes. 7 Peninsula Center is the same as the Indian Peak address - the center has been remodeled and repositioned several times, but the address at least at one point was 27824 (and putting it into Google Maps takes you to the back corner of Peninsula Center; the Pavilions loading dock opens onto Indian Peak). The center is bounded by Indian Peak, Silver Spur, Crossfield, and Hawthorne. It was a Vons at one point. It may also have been a Safeway- that rings a bell, too - but Safeway also had a store for years just down the road on Hawthorne, a Marina building at the corner of PV Drive South (now a Montessori school, with a Trader Joe's scheduled to be built next door).
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

J-Mac wrote:Allow me to offer a correction to the Whittier Location:

The grocery store in the Quad was an out building, not inline with the mall. The inline mall was demolished, meaning that the Ross building is new construction. The Ralphs location in this center was always a grocery store, but I don't have a clear timeline as to its occupancy. Ralphs may have relocated into the "New Quad" from that obvious former Market Basket across Whittier Blvd.
After the quake, The Quad was rebuilt. At this time, Ralphs moved from the former Market Basket (now BIG LOTS) across the street into the VONS. Not sure why VONS left at the time...

The Hacienda Heights site is still rocking. Had a Lifestyle face lift (not a true 100% remodel)...looks better...but so much more that could've been done. RiteAid in the this center was Thrifty. Builder's Emporium is now divided into various shops. Mr. Swiss Hamburgers became Mr. Swiss Chinese Food. Yes, Mr. SWISS Chinese Food!
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

11471 Long Beach Blvd, Lynwood--underneath the 105 Freeway
I was driving up Long Beach Blvd. in Lynwood this afternoon and noticed what appeared to be a former Marina-style Safeway building at approximately this location. It wasn't underneath the freeway, but just south of it (less than 1/8 mile.) It appears to be a U-Haul dealership in its current incarnation. It also seems oddly situated to me-- instead of being parallel or perpendicular to the street, it was at a 30-40 degree angle. Any information on this location?
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

J-Man wrote:It appears to be a U-Haul dealership in its current incarnation. It also seems oddly situated to me-- instead of being parallel or perpendicular to the street, it was at a 30-40 degree angle. Any information on this location?
If you look at the aerial view, the positioning seems to be a function of the oddly-shaped lot. Looks like they sited it to get as much parking in front as possible. The street grid in that area is apparently little off-kilter in order to accommodate Long Beach Blvd., resulting in some odd-shaped lots and street jogs.
Jack

Post by Jack »

runchadrun wrote:
450 N Main St, Corona--Unclear. Something in a shopping center.
The Vons store in Corona was once the anchor of the Corona Plaza shopping center. In addition to Vons, in 1967 the Plaza also had a Thrifty drugstore, a Cornet five-and-dime store, and a bank (Bank of America, I think). There was also a barbershop, a shoe store, and a candy shop.
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Vons recently closed the old Downey location:

10001 Paramount Blvd, Downey--Vons

It is supposed to become a hispanic market.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

La Mirada's Vons store (off Imperial Hwy and Valley View) is now Bestway Supermercado #2 (opened since late October). Their old #2 used to be in North Pomona.

Bestway is a private 15-store chain (owned by a J Solanki Enterprises) affiliated with Unified Grocers. My local store (West Covina) was a 1978 Stater Bros. They operate under the names of Bestway, Gardena (only the Gardena location, which includes their central bakery/tortillaria), and Central (south of Downtown LA, one of three chains as part of Councilmember Jan Perry's supermarket revival plan - the others are Fresh & Easy and Superior Grocers).

luckysaver
SoCalShopOYore

Post by SoCalShopOYore »

Update 27 Aug 2020 on two of the locations:

San Pedro, 820 N. Western Ave., has been a Sprouts Market ever since that company bought Henry's.

Long Beach, 8145 E. Wardlow Rd., is now a Grocery Outlet.

BTW, the above Long Beach Vons was the branch closest to my childhood home in Cypress from 1965 (when that shopping center opened) to 1978. It closed once the much larger Hawaiian Gardens store at 12565 E. Carson St. (now an HK Supermarket) opened. Today, the closest Vons serving Cypress are both former Thriftimarts: Garden Grove Eastgate (11861 Valley View St.) and Los Alamitos (11322 Los Alamitos Bl., the old State Route 35 that still becomes Seal Beach Bl. [fka Bay Bl. in '67] south of Vons....as well as Norwalk Bl. north of Vons at the L.A. County/Orange County line and Workman Mill Rd even further north at the Beverly Bl. crossing in Whittier.)