New location list: Boise, 1925-1960

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

New location list: Boise, 1925-1960

Post by Groceteria »

Super S
Veteran

Re: New location list: Boise, 1925-1960

Post by Super S »

A couple notes if you would like to add them:

1219 Broadway: still open as Albertsons, plans for new replacement store were recently announced and this location will eventually be demolished.

1515 W. State Street: Currently Rite Aid (Is 1514 correct?)

1100 Vista Avenue: Currently Rite Aid

5018 Franklin Road: A Fred Meyer is now at this site.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Boise is now updated through 2015:

https://www.groceteria.com/place/us-idaho/boise/
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

I'm happy to see that Boise had the Safeway Marinas that Missoula lacked! One of them, anyway: 1515 W. State St., a spectacular example that still stands with an original facade. Safeway seems to have closed the store by 1980, shortly before it bailed out of the territory entirely. Rite Aid (meh) inhabits the building now.

The Buttrey-to-Albertsons transition is evident here. They didn't reoccupy every Buttrey, though, and the map makes it plainly obvious why: Both 160 N. 16th and 7316 W. Fairview Ave. were stone's throws from pre-existing Albertsons (Albertsonses?).
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

A couple comments/notes:

4983 N Glenwood St was D'Alessandro's before it was Maxx/Max Foods. I am unsure when D'Alessandro's first opened, I want to say late 1970s, early 1980s at the latest.

I am curious why Fred Meyer is not included (it is listed for Portland) I can say that, while I do not remember exact dates, the present location on Chinden in Garden City, which opened in the mid-1980s, was the first Fred Meyer in the Boise area to have a full grocery department, where the locations at Fariview & Cole and at Overland & Orchard were former Grand Central stores and did not have grocery departments. Fairview & Cole had an Albertsons next door, while Hillcrest had Buttrey, later Albertsons, in the same shopping center, and Fred Meyer eventually replaced both stores (as well as others in Idaho) with their typical format. I believe the current location at Orchard and Franklin replaced Hillcrest, while the current location at Overland & Five Mile replaced the Fairview & Cole store.

3601 S. Gekeler Ln. is listed as WinCo, but a search on Google Maps shows condominiums at that location.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

There were no listings for Fred Meyer in the directories, hence the omission. It's possible they were listed under "department stores", particularly if there were not grocery departments in the earliest stores. In Portland, they were always listed under "grocers."

Next time I'm at Fort Wayne library, I will narrow them down and firm up the dates.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

Groceteria wrote: 21 Sep 2019 11:24 There were no listings for Fred Meyer in the directories, hence the omission. It's possible they were listed under "department stores", particularly if there were not grocery departments in the earliest stores. In Portland, they were always listed under "grocers."

Next time I'm at Fort Wayne library, I will narrow them down and firm up the dates.
Something I recall from living in Boise is that Fred Meyer did not have listings in the yellow pages for some reason. They were usually listed in the white pages only.

Checking my most recent Longview phone book also only shows a white pages listing for Fred Meyer.