Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

NEW: Saint John NB, 1930-2000

Post by Groceteria »

Andrew T.
Veteran

Re: NEW: Saint John NB, 1930-2000

Post by Andrew T. »

All of these Maritime cities are fresh learning experiences for me. From an Ontario perspective, it's something of a jolt to see a place where Sobeys has been around for decades while A&P and Loblaws were historically MIA!

Dominion had a very strong presence here. Were they national prior to their 1985 sale/dismantling?
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Dominion had a very strong presence here. Were they national prior to their 1985 sale/dismantling?
They operated at least as far west as Alberta. I’m not sure if they had locations in BC or not. I think Safeway ended up with most of their western locations. So you could pretty much call them “national” at their peak.
the506
Contributor

Post by the506 »

A few more updates:

107/126 Catherwood: Pretty sure this is the same store.

235 Gilbert: this was on the northwest corner of Crown St and City Rd. There's a good CBC article about the whole history of Haymarket Square: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brun ... -1.4963122

41/57 Lansdowne: again, pretty sure this is the same store. I definitely remember Thrift being there in the 90s, but no idea who would have owned or supplied it - I always thought it was one of those Dominion discount brands that pulled out of NB when the big chain did.

117 Main St: "F'ville" probably stands for Fairville, on the west side. Their Main St is now called Main St West to avoid confusion.

640 and 1490 Manawagonish Rd: your estimates are correct.

20 Prince Edward St: this was the ex-Food City/IGA at Prince Edward Square. I believe it was one of the east coast stores divested to Loblaws after the Sobeys/Oshawa merger but only lasted a brief time as a Save-Easy. (as an aside, Towers and Food City were both owned by Oshawa Group and were often together in new shopping developments, but this was the only location I know of for either chain in NB.)