Sandusky (OH) Mall History

Moderator: Groceteria

TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Sandusky (OH) Mall History

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I am 100% sure Sandusky Mall had a Montgomery Ward. Sears took over the space after Montgomery Ward closed. We moved away in 1982, on my first return visit in 1992 it was a Sears. Sears previously had an old store with the 1960s signage on Perkins Ave in a strip mall, part of which is now a Big Lots.
Thanks. Any idea what's with the Elder-Beerman in that same mall? It looks like it expanded across a hallway at some point.
rich
Veteran

Re: Montgomery Ward 1970s signage

Post by rich »

E-B may be the old Halle's. That was the last branch in the chain and Sandusky was an odd choice, except that it's popular with Clevelanders in the summer (Cedar Point, weekend/summer homes in Port Clnton, etc.). E-B bought some of the old Macy/Lasalle stores, but I don't think Macy/Lasalle went into the mall. They had a store downtown for many years that i beleive started life as a locally owned operation.
Super S
Veteran

Re: Montgomery Ward 1970s signage

Post by Super S »

I know nothing of Elder Beerman. The only store I remember in addition to Wards and JCPenney was May Company which built a 2-level store, currently Macy's.

I think the Cedar Point traffic, as well as the proximity to Lake Erie, are huge reasons why this mall still does well.
jimbobga
Contributor

Re: Sandusky (OH) Mall History

Post by jimbobga »

I know nothing about the mall in Sandusky, but I do know that LaSalle's was a Toledo, Ohio, based department store; they did have a branch in Sandusky, as well as one in downtown Tiffin, Ohio. The Tiffin store was open as late as 1983, and Tiffin also had a mall...of sorts, and I believe the anchors were KMart and JCPenney. In my travels through northwest Ohio with a regional historian, at no time did I ever see a LaSalle store located anywhere other than downtown...except possibly in the Toledo area.
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Tiffin Mall indeed has JCPenney. Kmart was demolished for a theater (the old theaters are still empty). Even though Aaron Rental took up 1/4 of the mall, there's still precious little else in it. Yet somehow there's an Osterman, which usually only goes into mid-size malls. Tiffin has room for maybe 30 tenants.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

Here is a picture of the former Montgomery Ward at Sandusky Mall.
Attachments
me 009.jpg
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

And a closer picture of the automotive center signage which appears to be from the days as Wards. Sears moved in here at some point in the mid-80s.
Attachments
me 011.jpg
Toby Radloff
Contributor

Post by Toby Radloff »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Tiffin Mall indeed has JCPenney. Kmart was demolished for a theater (the old theaters are still empty). Even though Aaron Rental took up 1/4 of the mall, there's still precious little else in it. Yet somehow there's an Osterman, which usually only goes into mid-size malls. Tiffin has room for maybe 30 tenants.
I remember reading a few years ago that a tornado went through Tiffin, and the theaters were damaged by the tornado...I read where the tornado hit while patrons were inside the theaters watching movies. Apparently the theaters weren't rebuilt.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

Fast forward to 2018....over the last few years Sandusky Mall has lost Sears, then Macy's, and this year Elder-Beerman. JCPenney is still open for now. This mall seemed to be doing ok until just recently, as it is along the way to the Cedar Point amusement park and is exposed to a lot of traffic.