New location list: Dallas, 1928-1979

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

New location list: Dallas, 1928-1979

Post by Groceteria »

This one's really fascinating if only for the fact that A&P, Kroger, and Safeway operated here simultaneously through the 1960s and 1970s:

http://www.groceteria.com/place/texas/d ... locations/
pseudo3d
Veteran

Re: New location list: Dallas, 1928-1979

Post by pseudo3d »

Could just be Dallas proper and not the suburbs, but I don't see any Skaggs branded stores in that list. As far as I know, Skaggs Albertsons (later Skaggs Alpha Beta) was established in Dallas-Fort Worth by the late 1970s. They actually had twice as many stores as Albertsons when Albertsons bought the division in 1992 (due to the agreement with Lucky, ASC had sold the Alpha Beta name, resulting in those stores being briefly renamed as Jewel-Osco).

It certainly doesn't include Fort Worth, where Winn-Dixie was more plentiful.
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

This is Dallas only, as per the city directory, which is almost always the best overall source for addresses. Fort Worth is a separate list that will come later (and I only have data available through 1971).

There are two Skaggs-Albertsons locations listed in 1975 that you may have missed:

2121 S. Buckner Blvd.
4008 S. Polk Ave.

Not sure what would have happened to keep them out of the 1979 but I will give it a second look.
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

Groceteria wrote:This is Dallas only, as per the city directory, which is almost always the best overall source for addresses. Fort Worth is a separate list that will come later (and I only have data available through 1971).

There are two Skaggs-Albertsons locations listed in 1975 that you may have missed:

2121 S. Buckner Blvd.
4008 S. Polk Ave.

Not sure what would have happened to keep them out of the 1979 but I will give it a second look.
They had to have changed names. The tail-end of the 1970s had the two stores splitting, with some varying accounts of how they did. My local Skaggs Albertsons went to Skaggs Alpha Beta in November 1979, but other stores either went to Skaggs SuperStore first or some other name. I'm not fully aware of how exactly the Skaggs stores were spun off in various markets. The market was split for Skaggs stores--Skaggs took Dallas and College Station, Albertsons took a few stores in Louisiana and South Texas (San Antonio), not sure if there were any in Austin. Albertsons would enter Dallas around 1985, probably after a no compete clause expired.

The division wasn't sold entirely, ASC kept the New Mexico stores (they were renamed Lucky around 1998 just prior to becoming Albertsons in 1999).
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

When I get access to the city directories again, I'll look them up by address.

Both are still standing and seem relatively unaltered. I suspect Minyard got custody at some later point (Buckner seems most recently to have been a Carnival location and Polk is a church) but that probably came later.
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

Groceteria wrote:When I get access to the city directories again, I'll look them up by address.

Both are still standing and seem relatively unaltered. I suspect Minyard got custody at some later point (Buckner seems most recently to have been a Carnival location and Polk is a church) but that probably came later.
The 1990s was kind of the height of Minyard in some aspects. I'd guess that they had been divested after Albertsons bought the Skaggs Alpha Beta stores (which had at least twice as many stores as Albertsons did at the time).
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

517634 wrote:How do you actually get access to the city directories? I'm assuming they're not all physical copies right?
if I visit a city, I try to get to the library to use the physical copies, but a good chunk of these (Dallas included) have been from whichever online sources I can find via the Internet Archive (archive.org), the Digital Public Library of America (dp.la), and other sources.

For a couple of months last year, I also invested in an Ancestry.com membership just to grab as much content as I could in a short period of time. The problem with their stuff, though, is that most of it is pre-1960 (scanned from a Library of Congress microfilm project) and an astonishing proportion is incomplete or missing. For example, they may have scanned the first microfilm reel of a directory but not the second. This is a BIG problem with bigger cities where the directories usually take up more than one reel.

So the answer is basically that I get it where I can find it. I'm a librarian in my other life, so I'm maybe know a few more tricks than the average person, but not that many more :)