last new-build Safeway in Southern Idaho?

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

Super S
Veteran

last new-build Safeway in Southern Idaho?

Post by Super S »

I got to wondering when, and where, Safeway last constructed a new store in Southern Idaho before they pulled out of the area in the 80s.
kr.abs.swy
Contributor

Re: last new-build Safeway in Southern Idaho?

Post by kr.abs.swy »

The Caldwell store (now Albertsons, the one near Albertson College of Idaho) and the Pocatello store (now WinCo, next to Rite Aid) would be my first guesses.

There's a store in Weiser that became Ridley's that I would bet money used to be a Safeway that is also a contender.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

I vaguely remember one in Nampa or Caldwell having the then-current 1980s signage. In fact I think that was the ONLY one in southern Idaho I remember having it.
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

That Nampa Store you are referring to is now running as Paul's and got a real poor remodel. The remodel also seemed to entail bringing in some equipment that appears to be Smiths surplus. This is not a nice looking store. The exterior has the original Safeway perimeter signage (Pharmacy, Bakery, Deli, etc.). You can still see the sign scars of the large old italic 80s SWY wall letters along the back wall above the meat and dairy.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
kr.abs.swy
Contributor

Post by kr.abs.swy »

I remember when Albertsons was remodeling the Caldwell store (the one closest to Albertson College of Idaho), a section of the old Safeway wall graphics was uncovered. It had large pictures of grocery products and one of them was "Lucerne". That suggests early 80s and, based on my guess about the age of the store, could easily have been the original decor package.

On an only slightly related note, does anyone know the history of the Rexburg Safeway, later Broulim's (local chain), but now no longer a grocery store? It looks nothing like any Safeway I've ever seen.
bm10k
Contributor

Post by bm10k »

On The Internet Archive. They Actually Have copies of The Twin Falls Newspaper (Times News) from the 40's to 1995
and the store in Buhl opened in 1985 and even had a full page Ad. It is now a Ridley's Family Market
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

I read that the Salt Lake City division of Safeway included the stores in southern Idaho, and that was bought by Borman's, which converted them to Farmer Jack for about a year. I wonder if the Caldwell and Nampa stores served as that brand, too.
Super S
Veteran

Post by Super S »

pseudo3d wrote:I read that the Salt Lake City division of Safeway included the stores in southern Idaho, and that was bought by Borman's, which converted them to Farmer Jack for about a year. I wonder if the Caldwell and Nampa stores served as that brand, too.
I want to say that Mountain Home went from Safeway to Albertsons, but Nampa, Caldwell, and Ontario, OR all became Farmer Jack for a very short time. I do remember going into the Ontario store during that time and the conversion seemed to be nothing more than Farmer Jack signs where Safeway signs were.