New location list: Hartford CT, 1925-1985

Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New Jersey, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.

Moderator: Groceteria

rich
Veteran

Re: New location list: Hartford CT, 1925-1985

Post by rich »

Mott's and Shop-Rite were the same. The stores carried both banners, but Mott's was the colloquial and probably the name that was used before joining the co-op.

Waldbaums and Food Mart were the same. Food Mart originated in Holyoke, Mass and the first Hartford store dated back to the early 60s--it was on Berlin Turnpike in Weathersfield. They were bought by Waldbaum's from Long Island in 1969 and used Food Mart on the stores, but both Waldbaums & Food Mart in their ads.

You're missing some stores--all these as of late 70s/early 80s:

There was an ancient First National c. 1940s (the doors didn't even have electric mats) across from the Mott's Shop Rite in Weathersfield still operating in 1979.

There was a 1960s First National on Park Ave near Bloomfield Ave in Bloomfield that probably closed in the mid-70s.

There was a Finast from the 70s on Boulevard near Prospect next to a Kings discount store and another in Glastobury (c. 1960s) probably on Silas Deane.

There were at least 2 First Nationals in New Britain and a shortlived Grand Union in downtown New Britain that probably started life as a Food Fair (it was next to a JM Fields)--both were abandoned by 1979.

The Lowrey Place Food Mart started as a Grand Union and there was an old, former Grand Union a block or so away from it.

There was a First National in Farmington (in the lower rent section known as Unionville which has a separate PO) on Farmington Ave that is still in business as a Stop & Shop--it probably opened in the 1950s.

The Stop & Shop on New Britain Avenue in West Hartford easily dated from the 1950s, as did the one Farmington Ave in West Hartford--they were both relics, although the latter store was remodeled in the 80s.

There should be a Food Mart on New Britain Ave, probably in West Hartford, although it's where W Hartford, New Britain & Farmington converged.

You're missing Geisslers which appears to have taken over the First National in Windsor. They also had stores in suburbs beyond your coverage area in places like Granby (and are still in business). You're missing Frank's which had stores in West Hartford (S Main), Glastonbury, and Weathersfield, but you oddly include Top Notch which located in old obsolete supers left over from other chains. Geissler, Frank's and Top Notch shared a supplier (Sweet Life, which I believe was headquartered in Windsor Locks) and all gave S&H Green stamps but had different merchandising strategies otherwise..
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: New location list: Hartford CT, 1925-1985

Post by Groceteria »

Thanks for all this. I'm sort of limited by the city directories and I have to say that the ones for Hartford were some of the most exasperating ones I've ever encountered, particularly when I tried to match things on Google Maps. If you could give me a yes or nay on some of these, I'll add info to the notes. Thanks again!
There was an ancient First National c. 1940s (the doors didn't even have electric mats) across from the Mott's Shop Rite in Weathersfield still operating in 1979.
Would it maybe be the one at 231 Main?
There was a 1960s First National on Park Ave near Bloomfield Ave in Bloomfield that probably closed in the mid-70s.
I've got a First Nartional at 756 Park (in 1964) and a Grand Union that seems much closer to that intersection (in 1960 and 1965).
There was a Finast from the 70s on Boulevard near Prospect next to a Kings discount store and another in Glastobury (c. 1960s) probably on Silas Deane.
Can't come up with this location from Google Maps so I can't pin this one down. Google Maps is displaying everything on Silas Deane as being in Weathersfield.
There were at least 2 First Nationals in New Britain and a shortlived Grand Union in downtown New Britain that probably started life as a Food Fair (it was next to a JM Fields)--both were abandoned by 1979.
I don't have any listings for New Britain after 1940, which means it maybe fell into a different city directory at that point. I'll probably pull it entirely unless I can find better data.
There was a First National in Farmington (in the lower rent section known as Unionville which has a separate PO) on Farmington Ave that is still in business as a Stop & Shop--it probably opened in the 1950s.
Again looking at Google Maps, there seems to be a older store at 1799 Farmington Avenue that was replaced in the past couple of years. Could that be it?
The Stop & Shop on New Britain Avenue in West Hartford easily dated from the 1950s, as did the one Farmington Ave in West Hartford--they were both relics, although the latter store was remodeled in the 80s.
That would be 1235 Farmington and 1501 New Britain?
There should be a Food Mart on New Britain Ave, probably in West Hartford, although it's where W Hartford, New Britain & Farmington converged.
Again, if it was listed in New Britain it may have been in a different city directory zone by that point.