Texas: Safeway locations in ex-Weingarten's stores?

Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, New Mexico, Oklahoma, and Texas.

Moderator: Groceteria

TheStranger
Veteran

Texas: Safeway locations in ex-Weingarten's stores?

Post by TheStranger »

Just saw this on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weingarten%27s
To concentrate on real estate development for retail shopping centers, Weingarten Incorporated sold its stores, which had grown to a chain of 104 stores in five states, to Grand Union in 1980. Grand Union then resold most of the stores to Safeway (Safeway acquired 43 of the stores), Randall's, and Gerland's Food Fair in 1984, including 55 stores in the Houston area. However, lease provisions at several locations barred the automatic transfer of leases between operators.
I wonder where those 43 locations were - and more importantly, if they all became AppleTree stores when Safeway divested the Houston and Dallas divisions.
Chris Sampang
klkla
Veteran

Re: Texas: Safeway locations in ex-Weingarten's stores?

Post by klkla »

TheStranger wrote:Just saw this on Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weingarten%27s
To concentrate on real estate development for retail shopping centers, Weingarten Incorporated sold its stores, which had grown to a chain of 104 stores in five states, to Grand Union in 1980. Grand Union then resold most of the stores to Safeway (Safeway acquired 43 of the stores), Randall's, and Gerland's Food Fair in 1984, including 55 stores in the Houston area. However, lease provisions at several locations barred the automatic transfer of leases between operators.
I wonder where those 43 locations were - and more importantly, if they all became AppleTree stores when Safeway divested the Houston and Dallas divisions.
If I remember right the Safeway Houston division was sold to the division management through a leveraged buyout and they named all those stores AppleTree. I believe the Dallas stores were sold piecemeal to numerous operators with Cullom Companies (not sure about the spelling) getting the most and operated them under the Tom Thumb banner.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

klkla wrote: I believe the Dallas stores were sold piecemeal to numerous operators with Cullom Companies (not sure about the spelling) getting the most and operated them under the Tom Thumb banner.
I had read that the Dallas division couldn't find someone to buy the whole thing out, resulting in everything "closing up" in 1987-8. But if some of them becamse Tom Thumbs...

How many of those are now part of the current Safeway Randall's/Tom Thumb division? Do we have any cases of "Tom Thumb marinas and gables" like we do for Vons?
Chris Sampang
wnetmacman
Veteran

Dallas

Post by wnetmacman »

When the Dallas division closed in 1987, it was split several ways;

Some stores went to Winn-Dixie. Many went to Kroger. Brookshire Grocery Co. bought about 6-10. Several went to Tom Thumb. A few went to Minyard. 47 were never sold before closing.

The majority of Marina and older stores had been phased out by that time. The Dallas division was plagued by high union labor, which had eaten at the bottom line for years. One thing they did to try to bring people back in was to update and replace their stores. Most of the stores they closed in 87 were less than 10 years old, or had been heavily remodeled in that time. There were not many older stores left. I might also add that quite a few of these stores that did sell are no longer extant. Many of the operators have opted for larger stores, and replaced the older ones. (the largest SWY at that point in the division was around 45,000 sq.ft.; most operators today want 50,000 or larger. The average was around 35,000.)

I worked in both the larger and smaller stores after the pullout for the newer operators. The smaller store didn't even have a deli or bakery, nor did it have the room for them.

The Weingarten stores were primarily in the Houston area. While they had stores outside that area, they were few and far between.
Scott Greer
TheStranger
Veteran

Re: Dallas

Post by TheStranger »

wnetmacman wrote:When the Dallas division closed in 1987, it was split several ways;

Several went to Tom Thumb.
Are any of those with the chain today?
Chris Sampang
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

I'm really not sure, although I doubt it.

Like I said before, most of the chains in DFW are more interested in bigger stores (50,000+ sq.ft.). The majority of these older stores were in the 30-45,000 range. Most Tom Thumb stores are huge by comparison. Some might be in use. I know some of the stores in East Texas are still in use, but Tom Thumb didn't buy them; they only ever had two stores East of Dallas (Tyler and Longview; both Albertsons now).
Scott Greer
Rob72830
Contributor

Post by Rob72830 »

There were 3 Weingarten's in the Little Rock area that I can remember from my childhood. When they closed, other operators leased them. I know right now one store is a Save-A-Lot, one an Aldi's and the other is a Big Lots. I do not know of any others in Arkansas. BTW, the Safeway website lists over 30 Tom Thumb stores in Dallas. I am thinking about taking a trip to see if any are the older stores and do a little shopping.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

BTW, the Safeway website lists over 30 Tom Thumb stores in Dallas. I am thinking about taking a trip to see if any are the older stores and do a little shopping.
I wouldn't count on it. Tom Thumb and Randalls had really updated their Dallas portfolio before being bought out by Safeway. I believe they had replaced almost all the Safeway stores. Minyard still has several, as do Brookshire and Kroger.
There were 3 Weingarten's in the Little Rock area
Weingarten also had stores in Shreveport, LA. One of the stores is still standing, but has not operated as a supermarket since Weingarten abandoned it over 30 years ago.
Scott Greer
Retail Mania

Re: Dallas

Post by Retail Mania »

TheStranger wrote:
wnetmacman wrote:When the Dallas division closed in 1987, it was split several ways;

Several went to Tom Thumb.
Are any of those with the chain today?
There is a 27,906 sqft Tom Thumb store built in 1974 that I believe was a Safeway (it's hard to tell but in person you can see the side of the building has rocks) but they built more of the shopping center on the side of it. Of course I may be completely wrong. Oh, the address. 10455 N Central Expy, Dallas, TX 75231
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

This story is fishy: http://www.tribunenews.com/news/1023-ic ... n-era.html

Because it says this store was built as Klein's, but it is an obvious former Weingarten's. Perhaps it never was a Safeway or AppleTree?

And this article says 1969 instead of 1963: http://www.hcnonline.com/tomball/news/a ... bc63d.html
terryinokc
Contributor

Post by terryinokc »

The above mentioned Tom Thumb at 10445 N Central Expressway was never a Safeway....to the best of my knowledge......I have visited that store several times.....going back to the mid 1970's.....it was a Tom Thumb/Page as far back as then....I was there a year or so ago....most Tom Thumb stores in the Dallas area have had the Safeway Lifestyle remodel....but this store had 1980's or earlier decor.....foil paper on the walls, etc....the manager caught me taking a photo of the original "Tom Thumb Grocer" on the inside entrance to the store.....this was their logo for many years....that was the only photo he would let me take.....I wanted some of the other decor but he made me put my camera away.
pseudo3d
Veteran

Post by pseudo3d »

terryinokc wrote:There is a 27,906 sqft Tom Thumb store built in 1974 that I believe was a Safeway (it's hard to tell but in person you can see the side of the building has rocks) but they built more of the shopping center on the side of it. Of course I may be completely wrong. Oh, the address. 10455 N Central Expy, Dallas, TX 75231
Just from the description of that store makes me think of a former Tom Thumb/defunct Albertsons in the Austin area (link), and I wonder if it's like that.