Cherry Hill NJ/Klein's

Moderator: Groceteria

Ephrata1966
Veteran

Cherry Hill NJ/Klein's

Post by Ephrata1966 »

I heard one of the last ones built was in Cherry Hill, near but not in the mall. Part of it in 1999 was made into a Super Fresh which has been called the "Titanic" by employees of the old Marlton store nearby. A&P had a Centennial store across the street that was later Drug Emporium. Funny how their attempt to re-enter Cherry Hill failed, but an Asian market thrives on the site of the original "Barclay" A&P. LA Fitness bought the Super Fresh, just like the A&P Centennial/Super Fresh in Havertown PA (which had a rat problem) which moved to a Penn Fruit/Thriftway that was redeveloped. A&P does own Pathmark now and they have a store in Cherry Hill which was a Pantry Pride! Pathmark had also bought the later Penn Fruit in Cherry Hill, but closed there in the 1980s. The store is now empty again after National Wholesale Liquidators went out of business. CVS was supposed to put a store here but it was cancelled. One of the only Genuardi's in New Jersey is in the old "Ellisburg" Food Fair close by. Acme is long gone from Cherry Hill too. They had a 50's store near the mall way back. That was only until they bought the Clover grocery section at the other end of Cherry Hill on Route 70 by Marlton. In the end, the main Clover outlasted Acme, which closed in 1990. Then Sears Hardware was there until 2000, and it was empty a while until Planet Fitness came to town. The competition between ShopRite and Wegmans on Route 70 must be pretty intense too. I think Stop & Shop even was in a more secluded center at one end of Cherry Hill, and ShopRite bought those stores in South Jersey, most of which were converted from Super G already...
bobsjers
Contributor

Re: Possible former JCPenney

Post by bobsjers »

CVS was supposed to put a store here but it was cancelled.
It looks like they are building one across Brace Road from where NWL was. It is where Jack Kelmers used to be.

I think the Super G/Shop and Stop on Brace Road at Haddonfield Road is still empty. I don't think ShopRite wanted that location. They already have a ShopRite on Route 70 near the old race track, and I think they closed the one at the old Ellisburg Circle. Wegman's is a tough chain to beat.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

That could be possible. ShopRite should have wanted that place though. Their current store is relatively new (1998) and right off Route 70, but almost next door to Wegmans which has much better visibility. Home Depot was down from ShopRite and moved to join Wegmans around 2006. Not sure if the empty Old Navy in the 1998 center closed or moved somewhere else. There was a cinema nearby built 1998 on the site of the old Loehmann's in Pennsauken, but it closed in 2002. At least their problem was also-new competition in Cherry Hill and not Camden crime seeping in. But it does seem like a "seedy" corner.
bobsjers
Contributor

Post by bobsjers »

I agree. That location is far enough away from Wegman's, that it should not be a problem, and there are a lot of houses around there.

Home Depot moved to the new shopping center to keep Lowe's out. The old one sits empty. (Lowe's had planned to open a store but Home Depot beat them to it.) Almost every big box chain already has a store in Cherry Hill, except Lowe's, and Home Depot would rather see the store empty. There are no warehouse clubs in Cherry Hill, so that is about the only thing that store could become. I think they had an auction with no bidders. The property tax is too high in NJ for people to just buy a building and leave it empty waiting to sell it. Not to mention that real estate is not appreciating in price.

A lot of theatres have closed or changed hands in South Jersey. I live in Atco, and they just tore down the multiplex here. I guess not many people are willing to pay more for one ticket than the price to buy the movie on DVD a short time later. (Or rent it for $1)
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

That theater was called "HOYTS", which is/was a British brand but is a member of the Regal/United Artists group. I brought this up in another thread but AMC has a cinema in the Greentree section of Marlton that opened in 1983 and is showing its age. But it has more charm than the later 80's AMCs in PA like Marple, Granite Run, and 309. The Greentree one tried to move in the 90's, but a zoning problem stopped them. I wish they had moved to the old HOYTS. That would be pretty far for them to go though. And there really are no mall-type stores close by to complement it. No way that is happening because AMC bought Loews Cinemas who had the theater in Cherry Hill that was credited with putting the HOYTS out of business.

The Builders Square in Marlton closed in 1995 because it tried to relocate and also had zoning problems. I guess that building (built in 1986) was way too small for Lowe's to want it either. Lowe's entered the Philly area via Wilmington Delaware in 1997, at a shopping center that looks like a mall but only has a small enclosure. Regal Cinemas is literally on floors above it. I think they moved from the older Concord Mall nearby. Home Depot bought the 1973 Kmart near me. The 1975 Kmart/Sears Essentials (now closed) in Marlton had the same design. Lowe's ought to use that same formula if they have to. Funny thing is, that building is already painted blue for Sears. They could take advantage of that. All Home Depot did to the old Kmart on the outside was paint some of the red parts orange. There even is still a Kmart "pharmacy" labelscar above the Home Depot tool rental room!

[Off-topic comments and opinions about current operations removed by moderator.]
Last edited by Ephrata1966 on 08 Jul 2011 22:41, edited 1 time in total.
Ephrata1966
Veteran

Post by Ephrata1966 »

bobsjers wrote: I asked one of the Petsmart managers who is pretty young if it was a Korvettes shopping center. She said "no, it was a Staples." I told her it looked like a Korvettes, and then I realized that many people are too young to even know what a Korvettes was. I researched it, and found out it was a Klein's (like the other poster said), and that the Korvettes store was around the corner where the new Staples is today. Although the Staples roof looks like a Penn Fruit, so maybe it was next to it.
I am so sorry, I completely missed this post! That place is right in my neighborhood! The PetSmart was last an OfficeMax. Before that I think it MAY have been a Woolworth or Grants. The Staples was a Penn Fruit and later Channel hardware, except for the left portion which was a PA Wine & Spirits. And the furniture store on the right was a CVS added in 1989 (when Staples opened) which relocated in 2000. More recently it was a couple of golf shops. The Korvettes was later Value City and was torn down for a Giant which faces a different way.

And there was actually an A&P with a Penn Fruit-like roof in the row of shops to the left. But it burned down in 1971! And someone probably driving their first car crashed into the store around 1964!
JoshAustin610
Contributor

Re: Cherry Hill NJ/Klein's

Post by JoshAustin610 »

There was never a CVS in the Springfield Shopping Center for those years; there have only ever been the two in Springfield: store 722, which opened at 334 Baltimore Pike around 1985, and 2582, which opened at 795 Baltimore Pike in 2000. I have a listing of every CVS in PA from 1997 and can confirm there was only store 722 at that point. I know you've mentioned the furniture store looks like a former drugstore, but it definitely wasn't a CVS unless it was only open in the 70s.