kroger on 559 east manhattan in toledo is closing

Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, North Dakota, Ohio, South Dakota, and Wisconsin.

Moderator: Groceteria

kbraker510
Contributor

kroger on 559 east manhattan in toledo is closing

Post by kbraker510 »

http://www.foxtoledo.com/dpp/news/local ... ajr_092109

my understanding is that the location is prone to theft, crime and high on gang activity, but the locals blame kroger. i think they have lost 2 million dollars in the past 2 years. my current asst. store manager used to work there, among other thins he was threated with his life and for kicking out gang members, then they set the potato chip aisle on fire......
rich
Veteran

Re: kroger on 559 east manhattan in toledo is closing

Post by rich »

Is this a site that used to have a Food Town/Kash-n-Karry and (before that) K-Mart Foods? Except for a Dorr Street store they closed in the 70s and a the Swain Field store that lasted a bit longer, Kroger has avoided inner city areas of Toledo for a long time.
kbraker510
Contributor

Post by kbraker510 »

in not exactly sure about that i think it became a kroger in 1979... as to how not sure
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Post by Groceteria »

Looking at Google Maps, I see that there is a Kmart in the same center with an adjacent Save-a-Lot (probably the old Kmart Foods). The Kroger is a separate building, so I'd imagine it might have been a later addition.

Google Maps Link
robdude
Contributor

Post by robdude »

I remember the K Mart Foods being a Kash 'n Karry. I may even have a picture of the KnK signage. I just drove by there the other day and there is still a Save-a-Lot in the KM Food space. I would think this store hurt Kroger's business as well. I'll be sad to see that store go, as the outside is a well-preserved greenhouse and I once got in an accident in that parking lot.
Also, http://tch546.tripod.com/smkt/kroco.html has a picture of the store.