Safeway Super S Stores In The Northwest

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

bm10k
Contributor

Safeway Super S Stores In The Northwest

Post by bm10k »

Did any Safeway stores in Washington or Oregon have a super S drug next door to them
I know they were common in California I just wondering if safeway brought them up
the northwest
justin karimzad
Veteran

Re: Safeway Super S Stores In The Northwest

Post by justin karimzad »

Yes Safeway Super S did exist in Washington, such as this one in Bellevue seen on Charles Hathaway's site;
http://www.flickr.com/photos/romleys/1507226127/
As for Oregon, the closest Safeway stores to the Super S operation were "Safeway Variety Centers". There were two in Eugene: one was next to the Safeway at 1156 Hwy 99 N that opened in 1958. The supermarket portion was later occupied by a local supermarket chain, and both spaces are now occupied by Putter's Family Entertainment Center. The other one was next to the Safeway at 350 E 40th ave, which opened in 1965. The Safeway Variety Center space was later occupied by a local drug store chain, but was expanded into by Safeway in the early 1990s. These Safeway Variety Centers carried junior department store merchandise much like the Safeway Super S stores, but lacked a pharmacy. I think I might have seen a couple of Safeway Variety Centers listed in Portland-area ads too. This blog on Pleasant Family Living details a nice overview of Safeway Super S;;
http://pleasantfamilyshopping.blogspot. ... story.html
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Re: Safeway Super S Stores In The Northwest

Post by Brian Lutz »

Hmmm.... I've never seen evidence of any Super S stores in Bellevue, but if there was one I'd guess it would have to be either the Eastgate (Sunset Village) store or the old Overlake (now Uwajimaya) store. It can't have been the downtown Bellevue store since that one had a Bartell Drugs next door for as long as it existed. I suppose this means I'll have to go dig around to find this one.

I guess it makes sense that Bellevue would be the place for one of these because of the manufacturing and distribution operations located here. I have seen Safeway Super Store ads circa 1982 for at least one of the local locations (the current Overlake Village store, so I know they tried that one here too.)
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.