Castle-Like Restaurant (Not White Castle) in Cleveland

Moderator: Groceteria

Daniel
Veteran

Castle-Like Restaurant (Not White Castle) in Cleveland

Post by Daniel »

This is along Euclid Avenue in Cleveland or East Cleveland, I'm not sure. It's about the size of a Wendy's but it's got these very cool turrets and flags all over the front, and it had some amazing signage judging by the frames left behind. Does anyone recognize this building?
Was it a chain?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/67661849@N00/3499279123/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67661849@N00/3499278481/
Jeff
Veteran

Re: Castle-Like Restaurant (Not White Castle) in Cleveland

Post by Jeff »

It almost looks like some of the old Douglass Burgers from out here in California. But Douglass as far as I know was local and only few and far around.
rich
Veteran

Post by rich »

I think this was an outpost of "King Cole's", a small local coffee shop-type chain that focused on hamburgers. I think it was a BBQ place for awhile--King Cole's were gone by the late 70s I think. They also had outlets in Willowick (Lake Shore Blvd bet E 288 & 293rd) and on Lake Shore Blvd, near Neff Road in Cleveland. The latter two became Kenny King's (the local KFC franchiser). The Willowick location was demolished in the 80s to become a take out-based KFC. I can't recall what happened to the one in Cleveland. The one in East Cleveland dated from the time that they had sold the others--early 60s. The earlier locations dated from the mid-50s.

There was another place with castle motif on Euclid in East Cleveland--it was the House of Luxenburg Hotel, one of several "motor hotel" (nicer than average motels) that went up in the 50s and lasted into the 70s along Euclid. The House of Luxenurg was less gaudy and had a popular restaurant. There also was the Motel Cleveland (the building is still there on Euclid near Ivanhoe in the city of Cleveland--it was owned by polka king Frank Yankovic and used to have a big sign in the shape of an accordion.
Daniel
Veteran

Post by Daniel »

Very cool! Thanks for the information! It's a very cool building and it's a shame it's sitting abandoned! It must have been something back in the day!