Thriftway's "You Save More" Slogan/Jingle

Alaska, Colorado, Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Utah, Washington, and Wyoming.

Moderator: Groceteria

StoreLiker2006
Veteran

Thriftway's "You Save More" Slogan/Jingle

Post by StoreLiker2006 »

Who remembers the Thriftway Stores jingle "You save more ... shopping at your Thriftway store!"? This slogan/jingle was adopted by the Portland, OR-based advertising cooperative (then a member of United Grocers) during the summer of 1979. I remembered this jingle playing on the radio and it even had TV promos. This jingle ran until 1988, when it had been replaced by the "Total Supermarket" slogan.

The jingle had been brought back with modified lyrics in 1996 or '97.

~Ben
Super S
Veteran

Re: Thriftway's "You Save More" Slogan/Jingle

Post by Super S »

I actually remember a jingle which went like this, "It's a pleasure not a chore....shopping at your Thriftway store" around that time period.

These days, I don't think Thriftway advertises on TV at all. A lot of their stores have changed hands or closed altogether over the last few years.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Re: Thriftway's "You Save More" Slogan/Jingle

Post by Brian Lutz »

Speaking of Thriftway stores closing, I just saw today that the one in Renton has now closed down. The sign on the door indicated that it would be replaced with another grocery store, but gave no additional details. Oddly enough, the BECU branch inside the otherwise empty store was still operating.
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.