Thrifty Junior Drug Stores

Moderator: Groceteria

runchadrun
Veteran

Re: Thrifty Junior Drug Stores

Post by runchadrun »

Jeff wrote:Chad, see if you can find anything about an Albertsons that opened on Imperial Hwy at Rose Dr. Its now a Stater Bros. In that small center, there is a tiny CVS that once had to have been a Sav-on Express. Question is, when did the center open? I beleive it had to have had opened after or about the time CVS left.
The best I could come up with was the liquor license data. Albertsons got their license in 1991. The liquor license was issued to Lucky Stores (Savon) in 1994.
luckysaver
Veteran

Post by luckysaver »

In 1994, the Lucky division of American Stores held the liquor licenses for Savon Drugs and Savon Express. It was also around this time that ASC rebranded the in-store Lucky Pharmacy to Savon Pharmacy. (Similar but unrelated note: Lucky bigrigs were seen at Savon stores).

Indeed, this particular store was a Savon Express.

CVS first left California in 1992 after selling their chain to Savon (they closed their mall general merchandise outlets).

I think the Savon Express banner came off of ASC's acquisition of the small CVS stores.

luckysaver
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

That seems feasible since this center is small. I know this thread is on Thrifty Jr, but I think this would make this store as a Sav-on Express its entire life until CVS opened it.