Mystery store: 48 Charles St W, Ingersoll, ON

All things Canadian.

Moderator: Groceteria

Andrew T.
Veteran

Mystery store: 48 Charles St W, Ingersoll, ON

Post by Andrew T. »

ingersoll.jpg
Here's something I stumbled upon today. What might this have been? (And don't say "Dollar Tree.")

The building's on the small side...less than 10,000 square feet, but plausible for a 1940s or early 1950s supermarket. The side buttresses are also suggestive of that era, and the building is set back the same distance from the road as a couple of Dominions in London I've confirmed from that timeframe.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
Groceteria
Great Pumpkin

Re: Mystery store: 48 Charles St W, Ingersoll, ON

Post by Groceteria »

My guess would be Dominion or A&P.
Andrew T.
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

For the record, someone told me that this store operated for years as an IGA Foodliner supplied by the Oshawa Group. I was also told that the replacement store it stands next to has done business under the IGA, Knechtel, and Foodland names, and all of these were Oshawa banners as well.

But there's still a possibility that it could have been built as a Dominion or A&P.
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
retail_person_247
Contributor

Post by retail_person_247 »

I'm not sure what the building originally was but I can tell you that before Dollar Tree the building was The Bargain Shop, and looking at this Google Street View from after the store closed, it appears that before The Bargain Shop, the building was used as The BiWay

https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0385367 ... 312!8i6656
Retail_247