Disappearing Sizzlers in your area

Moderator: Groceteria

storewanderer
Veteran

Re: Disappearing Sizzlers in your area

Post by storewanderer »

The Carson City, NV Sizzler has closed.

Now this leaves one Sizzler in NV, in Sparks.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Dean
Veteran

Post by Dean »

Jeff wrote:The Montebello Sizzler burnt down over a year ago, and recently, they removed the signs on the building. The Sizzler sign on Beverly Blvd though is still there, and they have PODS located still in the parking lot. I don't know if they are planning to reopen eventually or if this is permanently closed. What is weird, at the time it burned down, it was still a very busy Sizzler considering its small size.

It hasnt been on their store locator since it burnt down.
I remember going to this location as a child. They had mini-TVs on the tables. You could watch 'em with some spare change!

San Bernardino CA had at least three (3) locations:

1) Highland Avenue near Waterman Avenue=currently a Chinese buffet.

2) Adjacent to the Inland Center Mall. Was converted to Buffalo Ranch Restaurant, sat vacant for over 10yrs, and recently torn down. (This site discussed on a specific Buffalo Ranch thread).

3) Current site on Waterman Avenue near Hospitality Lane is still open.
cowgirl180

Post by cowgirl180 »

Daniel wrote:Their meltdown in the 90's reduced their Fresno presence to 1 restaurant. The Clovis location became Play It Again Sports, and the Blackstone and Dakota location became a Country Waffles restaurant. I do miss the TV ads with the whispered "Sizzler!" at the end.
There was another one on Kings Canyon Ave. that became a Kragen auto parts store, and another at Cedar and Herndon that was turned into Fresno's second Tahoe Joe's.
reymann
Contributor

Post by reymann »

the sizzler in arroyo grande closed last year and it had very old interior, it may demolished for in n' out,
storewanderer
Veteran

Post by storewanderer »

It appears the Sizzler in Bishop, CA closed. The franchisee appears to have gone bankrupt and had other locations also.
Photobucket now allows for comments on each photo! http://s196.photobucket.com/albums/aa113/StoreWest/
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

Jeff wrote:The Montebello Sizzler burnt down over a year ago, and recently, they removed the signs on the building. The Sizzler sign on Beverly Blvd though is still there, and they have PODS located still in the parking lot. I don't know if they are planning to reopen eventually or if this is permanently closed. What is weird, at the time it burned down, it was still a very busy Sizzler considering its small size.

After being closed for over 3 years, this restaurant is finally getting remodeled, cleaned out and reborn as.... A SIZZLER!

Sizzler is supposed to reopen here in October. Hard to imagine being closed for 3 years and then reopening.
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Jeff wrote:

After being closed for over 3 years, this restaurant is finally getting remodeled, cleaned out and reborn as.... A SIZZLER!

Sizzler is supposed to reopen here in October. Hard to imagine being closed for 3 years and then reopening.
Probably using the same steaks that were in the cooler 3 years ago!
J-Man
Veteran

Post by J-Man »

The Azusa (CA) Sizzler (corner of Citrus and Alosta) is closed.
Bearhawke
Contributor

Post by Bearhawke »

There was (is?) a Sizzler in Flagstaff, Az. as of a few years ago. Not sure if there are any others left here in Arizona.
Bearhawke in Arizona
jamcool
Veteran

Post by jamcool »

Flagstaff has 2 Sizzlers, one on each end of town

And there is at least one in Phoenix
nysw3636
Veteran

Post by nysw3636 »

There was a Sizzlers in Kingston, New York. Enjoyed eating there numerous times, but closed several years ago...

BDK
Gunter Caddington
Contributor

Post by Gunter Caddington »

There were a couple of Sizzlers near me in Fremont. One , in the late 70s/early 80s buffet style was at the corner of Fremont Blvd & Peralta, and closed somewhere around the late 1980s or early 90s. It became a Chinese Buffet--called something like Uncle Sam's which in turn closed a few years ago. The building is still vacant.

The other one was actually in Newark (just across the city line from Fremont) on the corner of Stevenson & Albrae. I think this one was built in the early 90s, but closed pretty quickly, within a year or two. Currently an Indian buffet if I'm not mistaken.

Probably the strangest former Sizzler I can remember was a very old one in North Hollywood on the east side of Lankershim, just north of Sherman Way. Looking nothing like the buffet style Sizzler, it was a fairly long and narrow setup. And they had a guy playing an upright piano from time to time. The piano was either purple or pink--and I'm trying to remember if the guy sang. In any case, the music was either dixieland or C&W. This Sizzler closed decades ago, but the building is still there--and although the sign currently reflects whatever business is in there now, its still the same pole and sign shape as when the place was a Sizzler.

One more just popped into mind--this one was off of Interstate 5 at the Gorman exit about 60 miles north of Los Angeles. It was around for many years, but it seems that it closed fairly recently. I always thought that was a odd place to put a Sizzler. Maybe it was a hangout for some of the people staying in the nearby recreation areas, as Gorman itself has only about a dozen or so homes!
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

The new Montebello Sizzler opens in a soon.
mike t. whittier ca
Contributor

Post by mike t. whittier ca »

There was a Sizzler in the Whittier/Santa Fe Springs area of southern California. It was located on Telegraph Rd. It closed a few years ago, and then it was turned into an all u can eat place. That place closed shortly after opening. that place stands empty and full of weeds. Is Sizzler in its last days??
Jeff
Veteran

Post by Jeff »

After a month delay, Sizzler opened the Montebello location yesterday. It was super crowded.

Also, Sizzler will be closing their Norwalk location in the near future, as CalTrans is tearing down the center for a new off ramp for Imperial when they widen the freeway.