Mervyns

Moderator: Groceteria

Brian Lutz
Veteran

Re: Mervyns

Post by Brian Lutz »

Something that might be of interest here: Grand opening pictures of the Mervyn's store at Factoria Mall in March 1987:

http://jana-treeclimber.blogspot.com/20 ... ppers.html
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
tkaye
Veteran

Post by tkaye »

Brian Lutz wrote:Something that might be of interest here: Grand opening pictures of the Mervyn's store at Factoria Mall in March 1987:

http://jana-treeclimber.blogspot.com/20 ... ppers.html
It looks almost identical to the store at Kitsap Mall in Silverdale, which also opened in 1987, and is now a Kohl's.
Brian Lutz
Veteran

Post by Brian Lutz »

From what I can recall of it, it's also very similar to the store that was at Villa Linda Mall (now Santa Fe Place) in Santa Fe NM, which opened pretty close to the same time (early 1988, if I recall.)
The Sledgehammer - Version 2.0 - Seattle Area Malls, Retail History, and other random things.
wnetmacman
Veteran

Post by wnetmacman »

tkaye wrote:It looks almost identical to the store at Kitsap Mall in Silverdale, which also opened in 1987, and is now a Kohl's.
For Mervyns, it turned out to be a popular design. They built tons of stores during the 1987-1990 time period. This was during the time they were touting their ownership by Dayton Hudson, and in fact built several of these in shopping centers with Targets. There was also a very similar two story design for smaller footprint areas (Baton Rouge's Cortana Mall and Gretna, LA's Oakwood mall still have these standing).

I remember going to the store in Longview, TX that was just like this, and it's now (as is the store in the Alexandria, LA Mall) Burlington Coat Factory.

Even the interior shots match.
Scott Greer
TenPoundHammer
Veteran

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Most of the Michigan stores looked like that. I think the only one that didn't was Courtland Center in Flint, because it was converted from a local store called The Fair. I think the Michigan stores all opened around 1987-90.