Safeway-Walnut Creek, Calif. (Tice Valley)-2007 Renovation

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

Jason B.
Veteran

Post by Jason B. »

The "Contra Costa Sun" of 11/17/06 reports that the Safeway in Walnut Creek, Calif. at 1938 Tice Valley Boulevard will be renovated sometime in 2007. The article says that the Safeway will be upgraded with brick and stone on the outside and that there are plans to renovate the interior.

This Safeway is just outside of the main entrance to Rossmoor Leisure World, a major retirement community. It may have been constructed in the 1960s.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

Is the Safeway the building with the gable roof in this Googlemaps aerial shot of the site?

http://tinyurl.com/y2pnky
Chris Sampang
justin karimzad
Veteran

Post by justin karimzad »

TheStranger wrote:Is the Safeway the building with the gable roof in this Googlemaps aerial shot of the site?
Indeed it is. The Safeway itself is at 1980 Tice Valley Blvd. Here's the aforementioned article;
http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cct ... 036141.htm
This store definetly opened between 1964 and 1966, and it was featured with a couple of photos on Charles Hathaway's Pure Grocery Stores site for the longest time. Though the outside seems humble enough, inside, this is one of the most amazing Safeway's I've ever seen. It has the highest ceiling that I've ever known in a Safeway, and greek-like columns with capitals. In addition to front windows, this store has frosted glass windows in the rear of the store in the left-third and right-third quadrents. All of this makes for a spectacular interior. Outside, I think it still has the places near the right and left entrances where the circle S signs used to be attached to, and it still has the original carport overhang, in the front as well. Now that I think about it, the outside is unique too, as it has a mixture of a shake roof in the right and left front, and high windows in the center with mullions that are arched at the top.
For goodness sake; first it was 1950s architecture that was being targeted for renovations, and now it's 1960s architecture.
TheStranger
Veteran

Post by TheStranger »

I wonder if Charles could repost one of those photos...I have sometimes seen thumbnails from his site via Google Image searches, only to find that that particular photo or so was taken down...

Would be nice to see some interior shots before this renovation comes in. Since I AM going to be in the Bay Area in a few days or so for Thanksgiving, this might be an opportunity...
Chris Sampang
Jason B.
Veteran

Post by Jason B. »

I visited Safeway-Walnut Creek, Calif.-Tice Valley on August 25, 2007. I took a number of exterior shots, but no interior shots. The gable roof is very impressive, especially from the interior. The planned renovation has not taken place yet, but I can only assume that it will take away much of this store's unique charm.

If someone could tell me how to share my digital photos of the exterior, I'd be happy to post them. There's an unusual "Safeway Delicatessen" sign on the side of the building.

Some courageous soul needs to shoot some interior shots here -- before it's too late. I don't know how best to describe the existing interior package. My best guess is that it's of early '90s vintage (the Safeway Marketplace type?). The store has expanded from its original footprint in a way that's unusual. The most striking interior feature is that soaring gable roof. I'd imagine that it was cathedral-like in the center aisles when low gondola freezer cases likely were there.
Jason B.
Veteran

Re: Safeway-Walnut Creek, Calif. (Tice Valley)-2007 Renovation

Post by Jason B. »

Here are photos taken of this "Rossmoor" Safeway store exterior on August 25, 2007. Incidentally, I don't think that the renovation ever took place. I think that the exterior of this store appears just about the same in 2019.
Attachments
IMG_2365.JPG
IMG_2360.JPG