Truckee, California: Safeway store location (+ photos, if any) - 1982

Uh...California.

Moderator: Groceteria

mike_mac

Truckee, California: Safeway store location (+ photos, if any) - 1982

Post by mike_mac »

Evening all.

I am doing some research for a novel and would like some information on this Safeway store.
I know the store was built circa. 1970, and was a Tahoe Truckee High yearbook sponsor in 1978.

There is an advertisement for Safeway in the 1978 Wolverine yearbook, but no address.
Another advert for Pizza Junction, says it's 'Across from Safeway in the Tamarack Center'.

I have searched high and low for 'Safeway Truckee' and 'Tamarack Center' with no results.
One search brought me here, on the post 'A big discovery: 1976 Safeway California map!'.

I have browsed this useful site also, and hope someone may have some information.
If possible, I would like the location for this Safeway in the early '80s (with any photos).

Any help is greatly appreciated, and will be acknowledged in the book front pages.

Thanks very much.

Mike
Veteran

Re: Truckee, California: Safeway store location (+ photos, if any) - 1982

Post by Andrew T. »

Welcome, Mike_Mac. According to forum member Charles Hathaway, the Safeway in Truckee, CA used to be located in a gabled building at 11320 Donner Pass Rd. This building still stands, and now houses a hardware store:

ImageSafeway Truckee,CA

There is a small strip mall across the street called Westgate Center. Maybe this was Tamarack Center in 1978. I don't know when it was built; Historic Aerials just indicates it was constructed after 1969 and before 1992.
Hope this helps!
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull
mike_mac

Post by mike_mac »

Hi Andrew.

Yes, that is helpful. That photo is familiar too, as I'd seen this one on Flickr.
I only notice now that the Rite Aid gable end is visible through the trees on the right.

Imageswytruckee by norcalstorepictures, on Flickr

The Tamarack Center is not important, was using that as another local landmark.
Mind if I ask where you source the Historic Aerials from? Could be useful in the future.

If you're wondering, I have a character get groceries here going home to Donner Woods.

Thanks very much everyone.

Mike
Veteran

Post by Andrew T. »

mike_mac wrote: 24 Aug 2019 21:37 Mind if I ask where you source the Historic Aerials from? Could be useful in the future.
https://www.historicaerials.com/
"The pale pastels which have been featured in most food stores during the past 20 years are no longer in tune with the mood of the 1970s."
Andrew Turnbull